• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths--a few from 7 June for ID (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I got a few more last night that I cannot confidently ID.
Any takers?
The one I've tentatively called a willow beauty was a large moth, perhaps 30mm wingspan.

Attachments

• p-spruce_carpet.jpg
    p-spruce_carpet.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 105
  • p-willow_beauty.jpg
    p-willow_beauty.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 98
  • pug1.jpg
    pug1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 97
  • pug2.jpg
    pug2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 124
  • moth3.jpg
    moth3.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 107
1) May Highflyer
2) Pale Oak Beauty
3) Current Pug
4) Yeeuch!
5) Dotted Rustic

And if they all go unchallenged Woollies will be getting a visit!

#1 May Higflyer
#2 not going to commit myself on this one.
#3Looks quite Campanula Pug like. Your CR could be quite interested if it is.
#4 Mottled Pug, and probably a tortricoid
#5 Possibly Pale Mottled Willow

CJW said:
1) May Highflyer
2) Pale Oak Beauty
3) Current Pug
4) Yeeuch!
5) Dotted Rustic

And if they all go unchallenged Woollies will be getting a visit!
I've along way to go on pugs generally. Can't argue with Current, though I'm quite happy with Mottled on the other. I've had quite a lot lately. have never heard of Dotted Rustic or Yeeuch!. I'm quite confident that your ID for #4 is wrong ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, guys!
According to Larger moths of Surrey campanula pug is confined to bellflowers on chalk downland (in other words, not my bit of Surrey). Currant pug is not that common but has been recorded in one of my neighbouring tetrads... so I think currant is the current favourite!

I've just prepared a CD for my CR--lucky fellow--about 70 moths to confirm!

Surreybirder said:
Thanks, guys!
According to Larger moths of Surrey campanula pug is confined to bellflowers on chalk downland (in other words, not my bit of Surrey). Currant pug is not that common but has been recorded in one of my neighbouring tetrads... so I think currant is the current favourite!

I've just prepared a CD for my CR--lucky fellow--about 70 moths to confirm!

#4 the Yeeuch! Pug was a definite Mottled Pug; even from that pic the wing markings are diagnostic.

Surreybirder said:
Thanks, Mike, but my CR would only accept it as a possible mottled pug.

His perogative ;-) To be honest, I shouldn't think he was that bothered really, a very common species.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back