• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this true about nestbox placement? (1 Viewer)

Zulu Merula

Blackbird's Momma!
There are only two places we can actually put a nestbox in our garden (due to tall shrubs and unavailable surfaces to nail them on to). One faces South but I think that would be too hot- the other faces West which I think would be ideal as every year for about 8 years, bluetits have nested in a neighbours nestbox that faces West. However, the only fence panel we can get to that faces West is right next to the tree where the feeders hang, and I read somewhere not to place boxes near feeding stations as if the birds chose to nest in them, they'd have a hard time defending the territory from visiting birds.

So, no nestboxes for my garden then? If so, never mind, the blackbirds have been nesting consistently for the past couple of years, they had five broods last year! o:)

Just bung 'em up where they look OK, you never know your luck. Ever year there are stories of strange nesting places, up the road from me a pair of Collar Doves built a nest in a car wash machine, on the bit that goes up and down, you might have seen it on the news.
Mick

Yes, it can be all a bit confusing, especially as different birds have different needs. Blue tits are fairly tolerant of open aspects providing you have some cover nearby so that they can observe the box if they feel alarmed. Blue tits rarely seem to take to a box that has cover over the opening although I am sure some people may have experience of this. The good thing about blue tits is that the nest box only need be 2-3 meteres from the ground for ease of maintenance in the autumn although you should consider how easy it would be for any potential predators to reach the box. It is better to avoid the boxes with a perch on the front because this is an invitation to any curious bird, which stresses the parents (as would putting the box near a feeding station). Great tits prefer to nest higher (28mm opening BTW) and they are not so tolerant of open aspects. Sparrows (32mm opening) prefer to be under the eaves of a house or a moderate height in dense cover such as ivy. An open-fronted box gives you quite a bit of variety because it will attract blackbirds and robins at low level in dense cover and flycatchers if in the tree canopy. The quarter of sky between east and north seems to be best in the UK and be careful of southerly facing aspects if there is no shade at any time during the day.

Thanks for the answers! Might have to experiment and move em somewhere else as I think the bluetit one may be in the sun too much (the robin/wren one is a little shaded by a climbing plant). We did have a nest in that one once, a little wrens nest which was very nice, however the female didn't pick that one so there were never any little chicks. Real shame! Although it was still exciting to see the nest being built and to be able to see the little entrance hole and everything! :)

I can agree with Ian on this - I have an East facing blue tit box which has been occupied for the last 8 years or so, and a North facing ivy covered wall that has had Robins and Wrens nesting in it over the years.

Also, the blue tit box is only a couple of metres from the feeding station - and that doesn't seem to cause much of a problem - although they do get very agressive around nesting time, defending their teritory.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back