• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Black/brown bird (1 Viewer)

Kerrie

Hi
I live in the far north of NSW and saw a bird a few days ago that I have never seen before and hope that the Forum can help me to identify it.

It was about the size of a currawong with a long black tail feather.
the body and head were black and the wings were a beautiful tan/brown colour.

Would anyone have any ideas what it could be. I have been right through my Slater's Field guide to Australian Birds but can't find it in there.

Regards
Kerrie

Maybe, but the tail feather was definitely black and the Coucal have a banded tail. I wasn't close enough to see the wings really well so they could have been a banded colour. I will admit that the Coucal was the only bird in Slater's book that looked anything like the bird I saw.
Thank you for your comment.
Regards
Kerrie

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back