• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The best lens for DSLR digiscoping! (Nikonians only) (1 Viewer)

yossi

I do digiscoping mainly with the CP4500, a little with the V1 and sometimes with the D100. The normal setup with the D100 is - the camera, a 50/1.8 lens, a 52/~44mm ring, a scope adapter with the ~44mm thread ("T") a scope eyepiece and a spotter. The 50mm lens is good, however, it creates at certain ocular zoom settings an internal halo in the middle of the frame, and at other settings it even creates vignetting. No more!
I got the Nikkor 45mm /2.8 AIP lens, which is tiny, almost invisible on the camera, and does not vignette or create halos at any setting or apertures. The lens itself, despite it's simple 4 elements structure, is tack sharp. The problem with DSLR disigcoping is the mirror flap vibration. I've ordered the Acratech head, hopefully it will allow me to achieve focal lenghts similar to the ones I obtain with my CP4500.
Sorry Canonians, I have no recommendation for a similar lens at Canon.

I've just tried holding my Olympus OM1 with a 24mm F2.8 lens + 2x converter to my scope and what do you know, no vignetting!

The convertor is an old Komura one, not up to today's standards, so I don't think it would produce tack-sharp results, but it's worth trying if anyone has a higher quality converter and a similar wide angle lens

DSLR Digiscoping for Canonians

yossi said:
I do digiscoping mainly with the CP4500, a little with the V1 and sometimes with the D100. The normal setup with the D100 is - the camera, a 50/1.8 lens, a 52/~44mm ring, a scope adapter with the ~44mm thread ("T") a scope eyepiece and a spotter. The 50mm lens is good, however, it creates at certain ocular zoom settings an internal halo in the middle of the frame, and at other settings it even creates vignetting. No more!
I got the Nikkor 45mm /2.8 AIP lens, which is tiny, almost invisible on the camera, and does not vignette or create halos at any setting or apertures. The lens itself, despite it's simple 4 elements structure, is tack sharp. The problem with DSLR disigcoping is the mirror flap vibration. I've ordered the Acratech head, hopefully it will allow me to achieve focal lenghts similar to the ones I obtain with my CP4500.

Hi Yossi (and interested Canonians),
first of all, sorry for my bad english. Hopefully you will be able to understand me. I`d like to point out, that there is a possibility for Canonians to do the same you do with the Nikkor 45mm/2,8. They can buy a Contax Tessar lens 45mm/2,8 and use it together with any EOS Camera. For doing this, they need to have an adapter, which can be bought at least at the german shop "Foto Huppert". The price is about 170 €.

Hi Hendrik,
In addition to what you say, as far as I know, Nikon lenses can be mounted with an adapter on Canon cameras (but unfortunately - not the opposite).

yossi said:

Hi Yossi,

I'm interested in this setup. I have a Nikon d70S. Would this camera/ lens combo meter with a scope. How does this combo compare with the CP4500 and scope, both in terms of picture quality and ease/ enjoyment of use? Also, how do you find using it with the Acratech head after more experience in use?

Thanks,

Richard

Adey Baker said:
I've just tried holding my Olympus OM1 with a 24mm F2.8 lens + 2x converter to my scope and what do you know, no vignetting!

The convertor is an old Komura one, not up to today's standards, so I don't think it would produce tack-sharp results, but it's worth trying if anyone has a higher quality converter and a similar wide angle lens

I've got the same camera and lens and a Zuiko 2X converter. I'll give it a try.

Bob

ceasar said:
I've got the same camera and lens and a Zuiko 2X converter. I'll give it a try.

Bob

Anyone with one of the 'E' series Olympus bodies together with the OM-E adaptor might like to give it a try without the 2x to see how it goes. The smaller sensor should cut out the vignetting.

Sorry for hi-jacking this 'Nikon' thread!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back