• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen-Ray Monoculars (1 Viewer)

CloseFocus

As a big fan of monoculars I am very intrigued by the Zen-Ray HD-M 8x and 10x42's. I don't know of any other company offering such large monoculars - almost as big as the finder scope on my dobsonian telescope! After being disappointed by my inability to hold the Leica 8x20 Monovid steadily, the Zen-Rays look like they have the potential to make up for my disappointment, with a much brighter image, and at one fifth of the cost. I have never looked through a Zen-Ray product before, but most of the comments on this forum seem pretty positive, so I might just take the plunge sight unseen. The price is definitely right.
One recommendation for Zen-Ray: the 7x36 ED2 would make an even better monocular. With a lower power it would be easier to hold steadily. With the greater depth of field that posters have commented on, less focusing would be required. And a wider field of view is always better when you're trying to find something in a hurry (the biggest reason to carry a monocular).

I like their ZRS HD binoculars. From what I gathered, the new monocular is just half of their ZRS binoculars. I am curious where the focus knob is placed on the monocular? Is it on the eyepiece?

As a big fan of monoculars I am very intrigued by the Zen-Ray HD-M 8x and 10x42's. I don't know of any other company offering such large monoculars - almost as big as the finder scope on my dobsonian telescope! After being disappointed by my inability to hold the Leica 8x20 Monovid steadily, the Zen-Rays look like they have the potential to make up for my disappointment, with a much brighter image, and at one fifth of the cost. I have never looked through a Zen-Ray product before, but most of the comments on this forum seem pretty positive, so I might just take the plunge sight unseen. The price is definitely right.
One recommendation for Zen-Ray: the 7x36 ED2 would make an even better monocular. With a lower power it would be easier to hold steadily. With the greater depth of field that posters have commented on, less focusing would be required. And a wider field of view is always better when you're trying to find something in a hurry (the biggest reason to carry a monocular).

I highly recommend the Zen Ray 8x42 ZRS Monocular. The focus ring is located in the middle of the monocular. I disagree that a 7x36 would be a better format for it. That big 42mm aperture with 8x magnification is a great combination. I personally like 8x better than 7x though. I have had many monoculars and it is the best I have seen. It really gives a better view than my 8x20 Zeiss Victory binoculars with the big aperture advantage and the good ER makes it easy to use. The ONLY advantage the little Zeiss binocular has over the monocular is better 3D representation which of course it would. Here is a review I wrote up on it on another thread:

OK! I got the Zen Ray 8x42 HD Monocular. Had a chance to compare to my Zeiss 8x20 monocular and my Zeiss 8x20 Victory binoculars. First, I will answer my own question. Yes, the Zen Ray is a keeper.
After opening the box I started examing the monocular and I would say it is typical Zen Ray quality meaning pretty good. The adjustable eyecups have a little slop in them just like their binoculars ,the case is pretty nice although I don't think it is real leather and there is a short wrist strap attached to the monocular that is removable with a clip. Zen Ray should make the strap longer so you can put it around your neck and put a hole through the case so the strap can slide through it and not get lost. You hear me Charles! They could make a longer strap that clips to the one they have now on the monocular. It says in the description of the monocular that a deluxe padded neck strap is included. I didn't get one where is it? Why oh why can't Zen Ray make lens cover that FIT! Why are they so sdhjhhvd loose? These are the same way as their binoculars almost falling off when you pull the monocular out of the case. BIG PIA!(Zen Ray has since sent me proper fitting objective covers free of cost) The focus was smooth and for once not too hard. Now for the good part.
As is typical of Zen Ray binoculars they have superb optics for the money. This thing is exactly like one-half of a Zen Ray 8x43HD binocular in other words excellent. I compared it the Zeiss monocular and compact binoculars at sunset and the optics are WAY better than the smaller Zeiss monocular and I almost prefer the Zen Ray monocular over the $450.00 Zeiss 8x20 Victory binoculars. It is sharper at the edge and had excellent glare control which was better than either Zeiss and was incredibly sharp on-axis. It has all the optical advantages of a regular 8x42 high quality binocular including great ER and easy eye placement in a compact light(11oz) waterproof and dustproof package for $125.00. If you have never used a monocular they are amazingly quick to get up to your eye because you don't have to worry about IPD or getting the concentric circles just right like you do in a binocular.If you have never tried a monocular give this one a try. It would work quite well for a compact light alternative to compact binoculars and you just might find you like it better. Now if Zen Ray can get a longer strap on it and get some lens caps that fit it would make it that much sweeter. You hear me Charles.

eye relief

Anybody know what the eye relief is for the ZRS HD-M 8x42 monocular? I might adapt it for digiscoping.

[edit] oops, I see it is in the specs, 17.3mm. That is encouraging.

Last edited:
I ordered the ZRS HD-M 8x42 monocular, and it arrived today. I've just spent a half hour gazing through it, sitting on a bench looking at a pond full of coots and wigeons. I also had my Nikon 8x32 SE, for comparison.

For sharpness the monocular is a match for the SE in the central 2/3 of the field. Possibly, it might even have a slight edge over the binoculars -- the brightness and contrast struck me as better than I have ever experienced. The binoculars were clearly superior at the extreme edges.

I was pleased to discover that the monocular has a tripod bush. You will only get the best out of it by mounting on a monopod (or a tripod, but that doesn't seem appropriate). I use the Dolica WT1003 monopod, which weighs 12.4 oz. (350 g) according to my digital scale. The monocular weighs 11.2 oz (317 g) with front and rear caps, but without the wrist strap and its complicated retainer consisting of five fiddly little pieces which need to be unscrewed from the tripod bush.

The focusing ring is stiff, probably because of o-rings seals. If you use the monocular hand-held you will have to turn the ring with two fingers, since your grip on the rear of the barrel doesn't leave room for more. It is hard to turn, this way. But when mounted on a monopod you can get a whole hand on the focusing ring and this additional muscle power makes all the difference -- the stiffness ceases to be an issue.

I'll probably never get those wrist strap pieces back in place, but I'm not worried about that. I am just happy to have such a sharp optic, waterproof. Too bad it doesn't rain more, here in Phoenix.

monocular digiscoping

I made a very crude digiscoping attachment for my ancient Fuji FinePix 4700, and attached it to one barrel of my Zen ED 8X43's. Results were pretty good, as long as this Rube Goldberg system stayed in one piece, but funky mechanical execution and the bulk of the binos made it pretty unwieldy. The mono would be much more suitable, and sounds like the optics should be up to the task. Will be interested to know more of your experience. I'd rather it stay here, but the digiscoping forum might be the more appropriate place for reply; if so, please let me know.

thanks,

marty

I bought the 10x42 version to see if i could handle 10x binocs, but alas, the image was too jumpy for my old age. Traded them in for the ED2 Spotter, but i have to say they are REAL well made & i liked the image quality alot. I wanted something for the car, but got the 6x30 Leupolds instead.

Dennis - Have you had the opportunity to example the older Zeiss porro 8x30 B monocular? If you haven't it may surprise you with its excellence, far surpassing the Zeiss 8x20. It has a good field, adequate brightness and excellent definition. Often a good used one goes for less than $150 US. John

I would like a high powered Zen Ray monocular for digiscoping. Something like a 20x60.

ah.. our closest one to that is the Ridgefield 15-45x65 spotting scope. ;) On a separate note, we should have 8x42 ZRS HD back in stock next week. Some of you have been waiting patiently for this one in the past few weeks. Thanks.

Charles

Yeah I know Charles. I don't really want a spotting scope - though I never looked through one. I just think I want something like a tall beer can size at 20x - not to look through but for my camera.

I'm looking at stars and planets more often with my bins. Are spotting scopes good for astronomical use? On second thought, I can't stand squinting one eye.

Last edited:
I'm looking at stars and planets more often with my bins. Are spotting scopes good for astronomical use? On second thought, I can't stand squinting one eye.

When using a telescope for astronomy, leave both eyes open. Don't squint. If the ambient light is too strong, then wear an eyepatch, matey. Or simply cover the other eye with your hand.

Good. Now you can buy a spotting scope.

I think i'd rather buy giant binoculars for stargazing. It seems any view with one eye, for me, is unsatisfying.

Last edited:
I just got my Zen Ray 8X42 monocular yesterday. I agree with everything Denco said about the binocular; it's a near premium piece of equipment for a bargain basement price.
I mounted it on a tripod to compare it to my 8X42 Leica BA. Optically they were almost identical. The Leica image was slightly brighter, and maybe a little sharper. Field flatness was better in the Leica, but not by a whole lot, and was noticed more in testing than in actual use.
The depth of field appeared to be identical, and both started to soften around the edges at nearly the same point. I didn't do a star test, but CA was not apparent, although the test was done on a cloudy day. The field of view was almost identical at 390 and 393 feet at 1000 yards.
The ZR has a more comfortable view. Eye relief is 17.3 mm in the Zen Ray and 15.5 in the Leica, but that didn't seem to be the whole story. I measured the eye lens and in the ZR it is 15% wider than the Leica, a definite notch in the ZR column.
The ZR eye cup twists out, and has two click stops, although the fully extended position felt more natural to me. There is a noticeable play in the eye cup in the middle stop position, but fully extended it stays centered. However, I would have preferred a tighter click lock, although I know some people don't feel comfortable with eye cups with stiff motions and locks.
The helical focus is not as easy as some, but I actually prefer a tighter and slower focus - I find that an easy and quick focus tempts me to fidget with the focus too much. The focus ring is rubber coated and turns very smoothly - there is absolutely no play. It feels like a mini Swarovski spotting scope when focusing. Very nice.
I was worried that an 8x monocular would be hard to hold steady, but that is not an issue with a monocular of this size. With my right hand holding the base of the tube against my eyes, and my left hand turning the focus ring, I had no problem getting a steady view. Unlike smaller monoculars that you work using the tips of your fingers, this monocular can be held using the thumb and index fingers to wrap around the tube. I would have no problem ordering the 10X version, and in fact I probably will.
Another advantage of the large eye lens and bright image is that the monocular can be used "open-eyed," meaning that, for me, I did not have to close my other eye to see the image. In a small monocular, with a small eye lens and exit pupil, it's like you are staring into a small tube at a dimmer image, and consequently your view is distracted by the brighter image from the other eye. In the ZR, the situation is reversed, resulting in a much more relaxed and natural experience.
The metal alloy body looks very upscale, and the rubber coating on the focus collar is understated and nearly flush with the body. The action of the eyecup is not as rugged as on a Leica, but if I were to see a small red circle on a monocular as well made and designed as this, I would not be surprised.
I have compared this to my 5X15 Nikon monocular, my 8X20 and 8X42 Leica BAs, and my 6X30 Brunton Eterna monocular. I have also looked through monoculars from Leica, Zeiss, Vortex, and many other cheaper brands, and the ZR equals or beats them all. Part of that is a function of it's larger objective, but that would mean nothing if the coatings, prisms, eyepiece and mechanics weren't up to par. But they are. That an optical instrument like this can be had for slightly more than $100 is simply amazing

Last edited:
Another advantage of the large eye lens and bright image is that the monocular can be used "open-eyed," meaning that, for me, I did not have to close my other eye to see the image. In a small monocular, with a small eye lens and exit pupil, it's like you are staring into a small tube at a dimmer image, and consequently your view is distracted by the brighter image from the other eye. In the ZR, the situation is reversed, resulting in a much more relaxed and natural experience.

Hello CloseFocus, your excellent write-up and feedback is greatly appreciated. Yes, the open-eyed approach to use this monocular is recommended, which cures a lot of eye strain issues when closing one eye using smaller monoculars. It does take a little practice to train your brain to view through monocular with both eyes open. Once someone knows how to do it, he(she) will never go back to the old way of using monocular.

The best method I have found is to put the left hand that is moving the focus ring directly in front of the left eye (which is the natural position to use when focusing the monocular - focusing with the left hand on the bottom of the monocular forces you to twist your wrist to an unnatural angle). That way, the wrist acts as a block that is as effective as keeping your eye closed, because all the left eye sees is an unfocused blur with no image overlap to the right eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back