• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco (Casa or Marakech) in October (1 Viewer)

wgrc1971

Hello! I have the potential for a trip to Morocco in late October, and was looking for birding information, or contacts of local birders. I am expecting to mostly be in the Casablanca area but might have a side trip to near Marakech...

No specific target birds since many would be new to me (I guess N. African endemics would be slightly better as I do have a meager European life list)

I think they key though might be convenience to those areas since there might not much time, and and idea of where to go ....
Thanks!

Morocco birding guide

Hello! I have the potential for a trip to Morocco in late October, and was looking for birding information, or contacts of local birders. I am expecting to mostly be in the Casablanca area but might have a side trip to near Marakech...

No specific target birds since many would be new to me (I guess N. African endemics would be slightly better as I do have a meager European life list)

I think they key though might be convenience to those areas since there might not much time, and and idea of where to go ....
Thanks!

Hi there!

Amazingly, I just joined Bird Forum today and read your post about birding in Morocco! My husband and I were in Morocco last year (end of September) and wanted to bird even though we didn't have much time. I found the name of a local Berber guide on the African Bird Club site and contacted him. His name is Mohamed Zaki, email is [email protected], phone number is 002126 66 56 93 92 (not sure if this still works) and arranged for him to take us birding for a day in the High Atlas Mountains. We were staying in Marrakech. Mohamed took care of transportation, driver, etc. And he is a first-rate birding guide! We really enjoyed our day with him (actually, the best day of our whole time in Morocco). Not only did we see many wonderful birds, but we enjoyed the beautiful scenery of the mountains. Mohamed speaks excellent English and being from the area, is knowledgeable about the local people and culture. I cannot recommend him enough -- if you do go, please contact him. And have fun (wish we could be going back too!)

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like Mr. Zaki is a good option!

Unfortunately he let me down by cancelling two days I'd booked with him at fairly short notice and despite offering to find me an alternative guide I've heard nothing further. Shame as I was looking forward to seeing some good birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back