• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wandering the West Lancs Mosses (1 Viewer)

COLG

Places such as Downholland Moss , Plex Moss and Altcar Moss don't seem to receive much recognition on the bird forums so I thought I'd give them a mention as being worthy of an occasional visit . At Plex Moss flocks of Whooper Swans and Pink Footed Geese included a number of Bean Geese in February of this year and Tree Sparrows , Fieldfares and Linnets are seen in good numbers (here's a photo of a Little Owl that I took by one of the farms).The fields on Downholland Moss receive visits from lots of Corn Buntings and a Mediterranean Gull was seen there earlier in the year. We visited Altcar Moss today and saw large numbers of House Sparrows , hundreds of Swallows stocking up for their departure , Lapwings and the inevitable birds of prey that frequent such areas ( here's a Kestrel that was near the roadside). So , if you're bored with your local patch and fancy a run out , it might be worth considering a visit.

Attachments

• little owl.jpg
    little owl.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 89
  • kestrel4.jpg
    kestrel4.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 78
Hi colg
by altarcar moss do you mean the Withens area, i drove down rye moss lane once nearly took my exhaust off, Is there a good spot to park up and walk the area? I have walked and drove around Plex moss a few times it,s good for whimbrel and game birds in spring.

Hi colg
by altarcar moss do you mean the Withens area, i drove down rye moss lane once nearly took my exhaust off, Is there a good spot to park up and walk the area? I have walked and drove around Plex moss a few times it,s good for whimbrel and game birds in spring.

Altcar Moss is the area around Great Altcar , which can be reached by turning off the Formby By-pass at Tesco's into Altcar Lane . If you continue along Altcar Lane it becomes Lord Sefton's Way and here you can turn left into Doctor's Lane ( more like a track ) and park by the Community Centre . The Withins and Altcar Meadows are a bit further along beyond Lord Sefton's Way on the right off Broad Lane Causeway . Paths crisscross these mosses in all directions so , if you enjoy walking and exploring new areas, you never know what you might encounter especially in Spring and around Winter .
I've never been down Kirkby Old Coach Road but I know that it passes near Siding Lane Nature Reserve ( which used to be Rainford Colliery if I'm not mistaken) and CAN be reached by public transport , which is a bonus these days . It's now on my " Pending " list !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back