• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Announcing October 2010 photo competition - Digiscoped Birds (1 Viewer)

IanF

The theme for October 2010 is 'Digiscoped Birds'.

Bird Forum has always had a strong connection with digiscoping and we still have quite a few members who practice digiscoping. However as to whether it's run next year will depend on how much support it receives.

A reminder that digiscoping relates to taking photos through a birders telescope (spotting scope) and includes set-ups where camera and scope are built as all-in-one devices. Also this year we're including 'digibinning' - i.e. utilising a camera with binoculars.

Apologies are made to those members who don't digiscope but normally enter the monthly competitions.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification.

The Moderators decision is final.

Rules -

1. Entries to have been taken in the last twelve months i.e. since 1st October 2009.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entry to be uploaded between now and October 23rd midnight (GMT).
4. Your entry must contain a digiscoped/digibinned wild bird or birds.
5. Location taken to be included and must include county/state and country.
6. One entry per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However you have until the closing date / time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets the criteria.
9. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
10. The bird's common name must be given - though please add the scientific too!

Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery

A voting booth will be posted after the 23rd.

Please note 30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon.

The entries not selected for inclusion in the voting booth will be moved to their respective Gallery forum.
Any queries about this months competition, please post below.

Hello Ian.I would like to enter the competion with my "Early Autumn Greenfinch" (posted on my gallery today).2 questions please:
1.How do i do it ?
2.I've really had to reduce the file size radically to get it into my gallery.The "Original" has slightly more detail.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not a computer "whizz kid",so a simple explanation as how to acheive maximum resolution download to competition gallery :again appreciated.Cheers.
Brian.

Hello Ian.I would like to enter the competion with my "Early Autumn Greenfinch" (posted on my gallery today).2 questions please:
1.How do i do it ?
2.I've really had to reduce the file size radically to get it into my gallery.The "Original" has slightly more detail.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not a computer "whizz kid",so a simple explanation as how to acheive maximum resolution download to competition gallery :again appreciated.Cheers.
Brian.

Hi Brian,

If you want I can move the photo into the competition forum for you, else you could upload another copy for the comptition. When uploading a photo you just select from the 'monthly photo competition entries' foum from the drop down menu.

Ideally it's best to keep photos under 300 kb and under 900x900 pixels. First crop a photo to shape and then resize it to under 900 pixels or under to avoid the gallery software reducing the file size automatically.

Then in your photo editing software save a copy to your hard drive using the 'save for web' or 'save as' functions to reduce the file size to under 300kb. Different software have different controls but many have a slider bar that lets you increase/decrease the amount of jpeg compression applied. The higher the compression the smaller the file size but also the greater loss the of detail. I usually aim for around 200kb myself but it does depend on the content of the photo. If it's a large size photo with a lot of detail and you resize it to under 100kb you can lose an awful lot of detail and make the photo look pixelated.

Hello Ian.
Thank you for your prompt reply.
If you could move it into the competition forum i would be very grateful.( i hope it's no hassle ?).
Once again,thanks Ian.
Cheers.
Brian.

Thanks Marmot.
Your profile picture looks just like my wife when she's having a bad day!!!!!.lol.(Or even on a good day for that matter).
Many thanks for your help i really appreciate It.
Cheers.
Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back