• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 190cpkit tripod, advice needed (1 Viewer)

herring99

Hi all,

bought a Manfrotto 190cpkit tripod a couple of years ago. It has the 128rc head on it and was bought specifically so it would not fall over in north eastern gales like the Velbon Sherpa tripod I owned used to! Well, be careful of getting what you wished for! This tripod with the scope on is heavy and no matter which way i carry it the tightening nuts on it dig into me! That is when they are not falling off (I've lost two of the centre head nuts already) Does anyone know where i can get spare tightening nuts and what I can do to improve the carrying of the tripod, or is it a case of buying a different one?
Also is there a better head for this tripod, as i find the 128 hard to use when following a bird in flight?

Cheers

Herring

herring99 said:
Also is there a better head for this tripod, as i find the 128 hard to use when following a bird in flight?

Cheers

Herring
Hi Herring,

they say that the Manfrotto 503 is very good and the 501 almost as good. So far my 128 is fine for panning but I really think it is a pain to have to use both hands to control the screws, the third hand for the handle and, finally, my tail for the focus knob :-O .

I have a Manfrotto 144 (old version of 055) that is getting hard to tighten with the screws and the lower thirds of the legs are a bit fromsy before I got them tightened. It is somthing like 5 years old.

Cheers, Jens.

jebir said:
they say that the Manfrotto 503 is very good and the 501 almost as good. So far my 128 is fine for panning but I really think it is a pain to have to use both hands to control the screws, the third hand for the handle and, finally, my tail for the focus knob :-O .
Herring - I am afraid that all the "better" heads are too heavy for your taste (and maybe for 190), but the precise friction control in 501/503 or in Gitzo 2380 is very nice during panning. You can practically forget tightening.

Jens - I think this tripod-head combo (http://www.mbe.fi/petrindigi/valineet.html Berlebach 3042 + Gitzo 2380) is what your big Opto eventually deserves. All the controls are accessible with one hand - so you can let your tail rest.

It still amazes me how much the optics of any scope is improved, if it sits on a stable (heavy) support.

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back