• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Partridge and Snowfinch (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Thinking about cycling from Bristol to the Alps for 2 big bogey birds, Rock Partridge and Snowfinch.

Any advice on best time of year we should try this, and where to go, much appreciated. We don't know when we can fit this in, so it would be good to know the best sites for winter, spring and summer. Any sites in other alpine countries where both these birds can be found not far from each other would be useful too.

Thanks for any help,

Larry and Nicky

With the greatest respect levels of sanity have to be questioned! Great adventure but I could think of better things to see after 12 days of cycling....

Snowfinch is easy in spring, late summer, autumn and winter. However, most sites can't be reached with a bicycle;). A reliable place is the Schilthorn (http://www.schilthorn.ch/en/), famous from the James Bond series. In general for Snowfinch: go as high as you can. They do like mountain huts, restaurants or similar things and are often quite easy to find in winter in ski resorts. Cassonsgrat is another good place for them.

Rock Partdrige is much more difficult and most easily found in late May or early June when they are calling. I know one good place near Vals (close to Cassonsgrat), I could give you the exact location if you're interested. Generally Rock Partdriges are more difficult than some years ago and it seems that the population in Switzerland is declining, however it's unknown why.

If you know the dates of your tour and your interested in some local guidance (my fee is a beer or a soft-drink) you can pm me. I have holidays in early June and intend to go birding in the Alps.

André

Reviving an old thread, but I may well be visiting Switzerland next year and these are the two alpine species I need to catch up with too.

Plan is to drive from Belgium to Liechtenstein via Luxembourg, France and Switzerland to pick up 4 new countries and would make a reasonable detour to pick up these species at reliable sites. Any further info particularly for rock partridge would be appreciated.

Thanks

As André said in a previous message, Snow Finch is not really difficult provided that you go high enough. They can be found in the Haute_Savoie departement of France not far from Geneva. Rock Partridge is also around but I have to admit that I have only seen one in many tens of trips into the mountains.

What time of year were you planning to travel?

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back