• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suitable tripod for my rig. (1 Viewer)

Neil-T

Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bug
Can anyone advise me if the Manfrotto 055mf3 is suitable to take my Nikon D300 with a Sigma 500mmf/4.5 and a manfrotto 393 head. Thanks. Neil.

Can anyone advise me if the Manfrotto 055mf3 is suitable to take my Nikon D300 with a Sigma 500mmf/4.5 and a manfrotto 393 head. Thanks. Neil.

I have a Manfrotto 055 Pro whatever they call it and it's OK with a Wimberley head and my Nikon 500mm. I wish I hadn't bought it now though as I would prefer a Gitzo and I would have had to find £120 less towards it. I am currently in the process of waiting my time to buy one but on the other hand it has given me good service in the meantime!
I like the centre column to grip for carrying it over my shoulder but don't like the fact that it doesn't allow you to get close enough to the ground.

It will hold it, but if you can afford it a Gitzo will be significantly better... When I got the Sigma 500 f4.5 I used a Manfrotto 055 pro and was very happy with it until I tried a Gitzo, that's when I found out what real stability is...

It will hold it, but if you can afford it a Gitzo will be significantly better... When I got the Sigma 500 f4.5 I used a Manfrotto 055 pro and was very happy with it until I tried a Gitzo, that's when I found out what real stability is...

Real stability is being successfully married for 50 years... a feat I am a long way off achieving !

We must have posted at the same time... and our message was basically the same ! However, finance is an issue for most of us and Gitzo's don't come cheap. I have learnt from the past to try and pre empt not just my next move but the ones after that as well to try and save replacing equipment that is no longer up to the job or not as good as I want.

Like wives, get gear to last as it can be very expensive replacing them :t:

After a couple of Manfrotto's I finally went mad and bought a Gitzo GT5531S plus a Wimberley head for my 600mm f4, no comparison really.

Real stability is being successfully married for 50 years... a feat I am a long way off achieving !

too true - I'm 20% of the way there now :t:

I agree that Gitzo tripods are expensive but they are really worth it, mine is in being serviced at the moment and I sure am missing it, hopefully it will be back with me very soon.

Personally I'm not a fan of the 393 head and think that it does not offer a very stable platform. I'd recommend paying a bit more and going for a proper gimbal, the Jobu's are excellent value and the BW-LW will easily hold your set up. http://www.tripods-heads-gimbals.com/products/gimbals/jobu_design_gimbal_heads/

Personally I'm not a fan of the 393 head and think that it does not offer a very stable platform. I'd recommend paying a bit more and going for a proper gimbal, the Jobu's are excellent value and the BW-LW will easily hold your set up. http://www.tripods-heads-gimbals.com/products/gimbals/jobu_design_gimbal_heads/
I wasn't impressed when I saw one and they are not particularly cheap either.I doubt one would last for a lifetime as I believe a Wimberley would.

I believe as a rule of thumb you're tripod should be rated to hold at least twice as much weight than what your rig actually comes too for the best support. And you also want to make sure it is tall enough for you without the need for raising any centre columns.

And now for a fly in Jobu's oitment. ;)
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/CK7075/

All of the big Canon lenses at this year's Birdfair were sitting on these (that means even the really big buggers like the 400mmf2.8) and I found them to be sturdy and easy to get on with. And as they are cheaper than the Jobu's and come with a 3-year warranty it'll be my gimbal of choice when I get round to sorting out that side of things.

Thanks Jaff, Peter and all you guys, I think I will go for a Gitzo and one of the heads from Calumet, I did see them when I was at the Birdfair, but I can't find out the weight of them on Calumet website.

If you look down the left of the page there's a tab that says specifications.

Bit of a hijack but I'll imagine you'd be interested too. I know the Induro tripods are knock offs of Gitzos but how are they quality wise, does anyone know of any well known reports or anything similar that would dissuage me from wanting one. I've found one that ticks all my boxes (incl. price which is why I'm not interested in Gitzos) so would like to know if they're stuff is prone to breaking or bits falling off and what not. I mean even Gitzos aren't infallible in that respect with the rubber feet issue so I can appreciate the Induros may have that problem in common.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back