• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Lv 10mm Eye Piece On Pf-65 Eda (1 Viewer)

apbarr

Scotland
Considering purchasing the above, I know very little about the eyepiece and am looking for comments on this combination for birding. Also what other reasonably priced eyepieces would give good results?
All help appreciated

Hi Alex,

I don't have any experience of this eyepiece but I have just bought a PF-65 EDA with the XW14 e/p. About 28x and optically brilliant. If you can afford it (£240).

What e/ps do you use at the moment? I am looking for a lower mag one to compliment what I have, Something around 20-23x would be ideal and the vixens are on the shortlist for consideration.

The Pentax XW20 is about 19,5 mag but so expensive. Are you using anything that is great quality but cheaper?

Best wishes
Martin

I meant that I'm considering both the scope and the eyepiece, haven't bought either as yet, sorry my initial post is misleading now that i've read it again. Are you happy with your purchase?

I meant that I'm considering both the scope and the eyepiece, haven't bought either as yet, sorry my initial post is misleading now that i've read it again. Are you happy with your purchase?

May be me misunderstanding though- I had had a couple of strong ciders.

I am amazed by the PF-65. The view is fantastic. Literally pin sharp to all but the very edge of the view. And so wide- 70* afov.
I've never used the latest uber-scopes but I used to have the Nikon ED82. I much prefer the Pentax (I haven't tried them side by side though).

Best of all is the fact that it takes astro e/ps so the choice is incredible. From what I have read and the few e/ps i've tried, I don't think anything will be better than the XW e/ps though.
I'll probably and up buying the XW20 to go with my XW14- 19.5x and 28x. Should cover everything I use it for but I would like one around 23x and have been considering Vixen. Need to save some pennies first.

Baader Hyperion e/ps also get very good reviews.

I can't recommend the scope highly enough. I'm astounded that more people don't use it in the UK. Very under appreciated.

Considering purchasing the above, I know very little about the eyepiece and am looking for comments on this combination for birding. Also what other reasonably priced eyepieces would give good results?
All help appreciated

Alex

are you by chance tracking the one for sale on e-Bay? Can't comment on the eyepiece, but I have the EDA (Mark 1) and have been very pleased with it. Trouble is that there's so many eyepieces available that I've built up a collection of about half a dozen varying in price from less than £30 to over £100 in the case of the Williams Optic Zoom. So if you do purchase the scope we can compare notes!

I would go with the Baader Hyperion if you want a cheap eyepiece... I didn't like the Vixens when I tried them, the field of view is much narrower and I found the tall rubber eyepiece to be uncomfortable. . For a fixed eyepiece you want wide, bright views. The much more expensive Vixen LVW (upon which the Baader Hyperion are based as generic "clones") are great but.. again.. more expensive. I would avoid the standard LV's in favor of the Baaders.

The 13mm Hyperion will be great for the cost, at 30x magnification (a great spot for a fixed wide angle with the PF65 scope).

The 14mm Pentax XW is even better.

Last edited:
apbarr:

I have a PF-65EDa and my favorite EP is my Vixen NLV, 9mm. The NLV is the updated series EP of the Vixen LV (Generaly, no longer available - new). The NLV is a very nice EP and is very friendly to use. 43x is about the maximum magnification my scope can provide with very good to excellent resolution. However, the AFOV is only 50 degrees. If AFOV is important to you, then the Bader Hyperion EPs might be a better inexpensive alternative for you? My PF-65EDa body cost $389 - new, a year ago and I purchased the Vixen NLV, 9mm used for $75 off Astromart (ther is a $12 charge to join). I also have a WO zoom (7.5 - 22.5 mm), TV Radian 8 mm (too much magnification for my body), TV Radian 12 mm (at 32.5x, excellent resolution w/60 degrees AFOV) and a Vixen NLV, 15mm (excellent resolution at 26x!). If I can find them for sale at a reasonable price, I will also get the 10 and 12 mm NLV's. Obviously, I like Vixen NLV's. Good luck.

bearclawthedonut

apbarr:

I have a PF-65EDa and my favorite EP is my Vixen NLV, 9mm. The NLV is the updated series EP of the Vixen LV (Generaly, no longer available - new). The NLV is a very nice EP and is very friendly to use. 43x is about the maximum magnification my scope can provide with very good to excellent resolution. However, the AFOV is only 50 degrees. If AFOV is important to you, then the Bader Hyperion EPs might be a better inexpensive alternative for you? My PF-65EDa body cost $389 - new, a year ago and I purchased the Vixen NLV, 9mm used for $75 off Astromart (ther is a $12 charge to join). I also have a WO zoom (7.5 - 22.5 mm), TV Radian 8 mm (too much magnification for my body), TV Radian 12 mm (at 32.5x, excellent resolution w/60 degrees AFOV) and a Vixen NLV, 15mm (excellent resolution at 26x!). If I can find them for sale at a reasonable price, I will also get the 10 and 12 mm NLV's. Obviously, I like Vixen NLV's. Good luck.

bearclawthedonut
Right on bearclaw....... , After I sold my pentax 65EDII, I purchased a Regal 65 just to see if it was as good as everyone was saying & what a surprise I had when I used a few Vixen eyepieces. I was shocked to see with the Vixen NLV eyepieces it was just as good optically as the pentax. With the 25,20 & 15mm vixen NLV eyepieces this gives up nothing to the pentax, except the wider FOV when using their wide angle XW series. If I had tried the celestron with the Vixen eyepieces before I had bought the Pentax, I would have bought the Celestron. Its that good with the Vixen NLV eyepieces. After I sold the Pentax I thought I was done with 65mm scopes but now ... well I guess I wont be to eager to get rid of this Regal / Vixen combo. gwen

Gwen:

I debated (with myself) over the Celestron Regal 65 and the Pentax 65; going back and forth, forth and back. I, finally, decided on the Pentax for two reasons. The first being size. I want a 65 for a travel scope. The second being that I got it when spottingscopes.com put it on sale. I think they both have pretty good optics for non-Apha 65's.

If and when I get situated, so that I can utilize a larger spotting scope/telescope from a fixed location then I'll get a T-85. Until then, I very much appreciate the size of the little Pentax. The thing that I like best about the Vixen NLV eyepieces is that they are so easy to use and enjoy.

bearclawthedonut

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Celestron-Travel-Scope-70-/280582788285?pt=UK_Telescopes&hash=item41540994bd

thinking of taking this away on holiday with me. I dont like carrying expensive gear wheni go abroad, seen too much crime on tourists during my travels abroad.

Unless you're really set on 1.25" lens compatibility I'd recommend this Busnell, which WE have on clearance prices now. I picked one up when in New York and have been impressed with it....
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/search/?q=bushnell

probably am after 1.25 compatible tbh. Which is why i suggested above scope. I think the thread starter is after something to play around with astro eps, and the celestron is a good starter scope to do this.....while hunting for an ED one at a good price.!

link doesnt work btw. lists 50 differnt items ....`Bushnell Spacemaster Collapsible`?? that one u meant? A clone of the mighty midget?

Not interested in a scope that has zoom only, want something that can take a wide angle ep. Tho i get ur point it could be good holiday scope.

I've ended up buying a Minox MD50 W with the 16-30x zoom for £206 delivered, it's tiny and for all I use a scope these days more than up to the job. The view is good at lower magnifications and useable at 30x, the focus reminds me of the Nikon HG bins, probably too fast for some people but I find it OK. Just need Nikon to replace their 80-400 VR zoom now and my equipment will be complete.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back