• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jubilee River (1 Viewer)

gindog

United Kingdom
Saturday 30th October 2010, 1600 to 1700, Jubilee River site between the two footbridges to the East of Lake End Road a male Short Eared Owl sitting on a fence post on an island for nearly an hour. Then flying about hunting and being mobbed by crows and gulls. Was in the air for a further 15 minutes before flying off towards the sewage works by the M4 motorway.

9 Little Grebe, seen in two groups between the bridges. Along with Teal, Pochard, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Lapwing, Gadwall.

First time sighting for me of a SEO in 4 years visiting this site.

obm

Sunday 5th December sightings:

Water rail on south side of water, midway between Lake End Road car park and first footbridge to the east. In the clearing of the reeds, walking about in full view several times.

Male Sparrowhawk on north side of water, in a tree about 100 metres north of the end of the footbridge. Sat rear view for a minute and then turned to face the sun for another 2 minutes.

No sign of the SEO this day, sadly.

obm

Last edited by a moderator:
Went for a short walk this afternoon, around 1'ish. Bright but very cold.

But well worth it with a flock of 4 Waxwings seen flying and then landed in a tree on the south side near to the first footbridge east of Lake End Road. They were only about 20 yards away so able to get a good close look for some time. What a lovely looking bird and one I have been looking for for a while.

Numerous Fieldfare and Redwing around the berry trees by the car parks and paths. Several Goldfinches and one Siskin.

obm

Sunday 9th, 2 Bittern in the reeds between the 1st and 2nd bridges east from Lake End Road, on the north bank reeds bed above the island in line with a gate post.

obm

At Dorney Wetlands today: 2 Wheatear above West Marsh, a fly thru Common Tern and a few singing Sedge Warblers in the reedbeds.

Kevin

Monday 9th May, around 2030, Cuckoo seen in full view among reeds for about 15 minutes. Edging down a reed with an agitated Reed Warbler in close attendance.

Tuesday 10th May, around 2010, Cuckoo seen again, about 100 yards from yesterdays location, another Reed Warbler close by. Was in full view for about 10 minutes in bettter light than yesterday.

Also present Goldfinch, Reed Buntings, Reed Warbler, Heron, Black Head Gull, Common Tern, Shelduck, G C Grebe, Swallow, Swift.

obm

7pm Tuesday 24th May, 1 x male and 1 x female Cuckoo seen to east of 2nd footbridge to east of Lake End Road in reedbeds for about 20 minutes. Clearly visible was yellow tinged throat and grey throat to distinguish between M and F.

obm

Last edited by a moderator:
Cuckoo seen again on 29th May, around 1800 among the reeds to the east of the 2nd footbridge to the east of Lake End Road, then flying west.

obm

Little Egret, Lapwings, Green Woodpeckers, Tufted Ducks, Grey Herons, 2 pairs of Widgeons (not 100% certain), G C Grebe, Cormorants and even a young, glorious, pristine and very startled Cock Pheasent taking a look around, or perhaps a sip, near the water's edge.

Amongst other common and usual species.

Afternoon, between Slough and Dorney.

Grey Herons, Tufted Ducks, Pair of Wigeon, G C Grebes (winter/juvenile and at least one in standard adult plumage)

Amongst the usual others. Just before sunset on Jubilee River between Windsor Road and Datchet Road stretch. Was out for a very short time.

Grey Herons, Tufted Ducks, Pair of Wigeon, G C Grebes (winter/juvenile and at least one in standard adult plumage)

Amongst the usual others. Just before sunset on Jubilee River between Windsor Road and Datchet Road stretch. Was out for a very short time.

Hi FalcoSingh,

It's good to see a report from the Jubilee River.
Not many reports these days, not sure if no one visits now or just does not make public reports.
The Jubilee River will hopefully pick up once the cold weather finally arrives. Nearly a year ago the lakes were freezing forcing the ducks onto the Jubilee River. Between now and the New Year Bearded Tit, Smew, Goosander and Greater Scaup as well as a increase of the common ducks. Hopefully the wintering Bitterns will return soon.

Regards
Kevin (KPD)

ps Do you look at berksbirds.co.uk?

Hi Kevin,

That site was one of the first resources I looked at :) very useful.

I have only started birding properly recently - as a result of finally getting around to buying some proper bins about a week ago (Nikon Monarch Mk3 8x42).

Last 5-10 years any spare money went on camera equipment.

Ps - going to look for Bracknell Peregrines tomorrow and Woking Peregrines on Thursday. Wish me luck!

Watched Coventry Peregrines yesterday for first time from a steeple. Pair turned up within 10mins but unfortunately only had 2hrs before dusk. Still couldn't believe my luck! They were in full-on hunting mode and specked-out in several occasions during some of their forays.

Glad I bought the 8's and not 10's due to extra stability, sharpness and brighter image. Dense, low contrast, misty, muggy grey sky was the backdrop yesterday but they still did well.

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,

Ps - going to look for Bracknell Peregrines tomorrow and Woking Peregrines on Thursday. Wish me luck!

Watched Coventry Peregrines yesterday for first time from a steeple. Pair turned up within 10mins but unfortunately only had 2hrs before dusk. Still couldn't believe my luck! They were in full-on hunting mode and specked-out in several occasions during some of their forays.

Have you seen the Slough Peregrines?

I have not looked recently but they are regulars.

Kevin

Having googled a bit I have only seen one cryptic mention of Peregrines in Slough.

Would love a heads-up if possible because I certainly haven't seen or heard them yet but that's not for lack of trying - every tall structure has been scrutinised around the town centre but I haven't looked in a few other places that may hold some potential such as the Trading Estate.

Visited Bracknell a week or so ago but only had 40mins before dusk and there were no signs around their famous haunt.

Haven't got down to Woking yet and it's looking unlikely any time soon.

Last edited:
Having googled a bit I have only seen one cryptic mention of Peregrines in Slough.

Would love a heads-up if possible because I certainly haven't seen or heard them yet but that's not for lack of trying - every tall structure has been scrutinised around the town centre but I haven't looked in a few other places that may hold some potential such as the Trading Estate.

Visited Bracknell a week or so ago but only had 40mins before dusk and there were no signs around their famous haunt.

Haven't got down to Woking yet and it's looking unlikely any time soon.

Check out the Trading Estate, on the tallest chimney next to the Mars factory as well as the cable pylons.
Believed to be the same birds they tend to hunt around the landfill sites just north of Slough rather than on the town centre pigeons. They have been seen before over Dorney Wetlands. after the Golden Plover that winter.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, will take out some time soon.

Returning from the wetlands recently along the river and seeing the chimneys in the near distance, it did occur to me that that may be a path. The bins didn't show-up anything though that day.

Shame they only seem interested in the Plover; the lapwings and black-headed gulls are plentiful. In fact the mostly resting flock of LP's rose quite suddenly when I was last there; looked around for predators but certainly no peregrines that I could see. But was approaching 'lights-out' so I put it down to that.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Great Grey Shrike seen today at the Jubilee River. North side of the river, about 100 yards west of Slough Weir and the brick shed. Made the long walk back to the Lake End Road car park in freezing horizontal rain almost worth it!

obm

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back