• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hybrid duck (1 Viewer)

sigh.....you guys are hopeless! lol.
why would he throttle it?...doesnt everyone know Hybrids cant reproduce anyways!?!?...unless....hes just having some fun!? lol

so...credible opinions?

yes, it was taken by a hunter somewhere here in the states.
i've seen a couple similar to this but they were not hybrids.

but this one seems to have a tuft and smaller bill.

We were right, Steve! They'd nailed it to its perch! Given its a hybrid, do you think it might have a touch of Nowegian Blue in there somewhere?

I can find reference to a New Zealand Blue Duck, but not a Norwegian Blue - was this a slip of the keyboard, or are you attempting to cause a rift in the forum - sort of a parrot-schism ?

Tony

T0ny

You're too good for this place.......

This whole thread seems a little Pythonesque to me!

Well, I think the earlier questioning of poor stratos22 was a little harsh - I mean no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Cardinal Richelieu.

Being serious about your query, I doubt very much if the duck you sent pix of is Mallard x Wood Duck - the reason being that they are from two separate groups - Mallards belong to the Anas tribe, whereas Wood Duck (or Carolina Duck, the name I prefer) is from the Aix tribe.

HTH

Tony

Looks like a hybrid Mallard of some description possibly a wild Mallard crossed with a domesticated one. It could be a domesticated one which is fully winged. BUT not all hybrids are infertile.......Ruddy Duck and White-headed Duck produce fertile hybrids which is was all the fuss is about in Europe.

Colin

I dont think its a duck at all. I think its a cross between a homing
pidgeon and a woodpecker..

not only does it deliver your mail, it knocks on the door as well.

And of course, if you don't anser, it will create its own letter box in which to deliver your mail.

Tony

Sorry - mistake there - anseridae are geese not ducks.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back