• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Notable b in the garden? (1 Viewer)

Grampy Bustard

Morning Gentlemen
I have a small Tortrix that I believe to be Spatalistis bifasciana (1034). As this appears to be fairly unusual, can anyone out there confirm the ID or tell me what it really is?

Attachments

• DSCN2566.jpg
    DSCN2566.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN2586.jpg
    DSCN2586.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Grampy Bustard said:
Morning Gentlemen
I have a small Tortrix that I believe to be Spatalistis bifasciana (1034). As this appears to be fairly unusual, can anyone out there confirm the ID or tell me what it really is?

Good morning Grampy,

It certainly seems to be this species, see

http://jeffhiggott.topcities.com/lepidoptera/systematic_list/Tortricidae/1034.html

However, in general terms the distribution of most micro's is far from well known and although it may be listed as Nb this may not in fact reflect it's true status. Your specimen certainly matches the description and colour plate in my copy of British Tortricoid Moths by Bradley et.al. There is nothing else that closely resembles it. I would get your County Recorder to verify it, if you still have the specimen.

Harry

harry eales said:
Good morning Grampy,

It certainly seems to be this species, see

http://jeffhiggott.topcities.com/lepidoptera/systematic_list/Tortricidae/1034.html

However, in general terms the distribution of most micro's is far from well known and although it may be listed as Nb this may not in fact reflect it's true status. Your specimen certainly matches the description and colour plate in my copy of British Tortricoid Moths by Bradley et.al. There is nothing else that closely resembles it. I would get your County Recorder to verify it, if you still have the specimen.

Harry

Thanks Harry. I can't see that it is anything else. The Moths of Hampshire suggest it is rare or overlooked, so perhaps the latter is more likely, and yes I still have the specimen.

Just a thought on specimens, what more can be gained from a specimen when the photos seem to be sufficient? Presumably this might be justified if it's a gonads job, but I couldn't do that...
Thanks again.

Grampy Bustard said:
Thanks Harry. I can't see that it is anything else. The Moths of Hampshire suggest it is rare or overlooked, so perhaps the latter is more likely, and yes I still have the specimen.

Just a thought on specimens, what more can be gained from a specimen when the photos seem to be sufficient? Presumably this might be justified if it's a gonads job, but I couldn't do that...
Thanks again.

Hi Grampy,
I wasn't suggesting a nads job, just a second opinion and verification by your County Recorder. Nads jobs should only be done when it is the only way to settle a dispute over several similar or possible species, not on one that is very distinctive.

Harry

Yep, my first rarity

I have had it verified locally, in the flesh at it were, and it seems it is the first for Dorset since one at Bloxworth (of Snout fame) in 1890. B :) A celebratory pint I think....

Grampy Bustard said:
I have had it verified locally, in the flesh at it were, and it seems it is the first for Dorset since one at Bloxworth (of Snout fame) in 1890. B :) A celebratory pint I think....

Oi! Grampy,
Thats a pint you owe me if I ever get down your way.

Harry

Grampy Bustard said:

Thanks Grampy,

I think your money is pretty safe, I haven't been in your neck of the woods for 40 years. Mind you I wouldn't mind a bottle of good whiskey for Christmas.
lol.

Harry.

Grampy Bustard said:

Thanks again.

Looks OK to me, too. See my (not very good pic) at http://www.bike2nature.co.uk/moths/moth_1034.htm. It tends to occur in ancient oak woodland around me, so I'd say it was local, rather than rare per se.

Hi Harry / Mike
Had it accepted by County Micro recorder, who advises one found in NE of Dorset last year and found in several places so far this year. As you say, probably more overlooked than records suggest. Still a goodie for the garden....

Good site, and yes I did find your picture, which helped me ID it in the first place. Not actually on UK Moths, but I have sent them piccies taken outside the glass tube, so may be now.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back