• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leech socks (2 Viewers)

Mike Penfold

My wife and I are going to Borneo in the new year, and wondering if any of the leech socks on the market work more effectively.

You can only do so much useful comparison without hearing from someone who has actually used an unfamiliar piece of equipment. Having said that, nylon would seem to be more durable than cotton, while fixlock closures probably are easier to use than simple tape/cord ties.

How much does the leech sock affect the fit of your boots?

It appears that wet weather determines the frequency of leeches, and you probably don't need leech socks if you're birding down the middle of a road.

Do pymethrum-infused pants/shirts/socks (Ex Officio Insect Repellent clothing) discourage leeches?

Thanks,

Mike Penfold

Note that leeches can drop on you as you brush against leaves, so socks are not a total defense.
Re insect repellent clothing,: it worked very well in Panama, but gave me a full body rash, perhaps a sort of dermatitis.
As I'd been sweating heavily, it was somewhat like taking a prolonged bath in a dilute solution of the stuff, so not entirely surprising.. Still, it would surprise me if Borneo was less warm and sticky than Panama, so be aware of the possibility.

Mike, I was in Sinharaja (Sri Lanka) earlier this year (famous in part for it's leeches) and leech socks worked well - the brand I bought was:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nomad-Leech-Socks/dp/B000Z2C1AK.

The adjustable closures I found user-friendly

I was only bitten once on that trip and that was on my back.
I also sprayed a band of DEET at the top of the socks and around the ankles as a barrier.

I chatted with a couple who didn't use leech socks but soaked their socks in permethrin and deet. They had received a number of bites and their socks were soaked with their blood.

I think it would be silly not to get them if you are going to be in an area with leeches, for the little they cost and weigh. Leech socks are so thin you probably won't notice them under your boots. Sinharaja was fairly dry during my visit and the leeches were still active.

normally I wear permethrin impregnated clothing in Sub/Tropical climates - I hope it has some effect on something!

By the way I don't think that Panama has a problem with leeches - I didn't take any precautions when I was there and wasn't bitten.

Last edited:

Wow, these things look more than leech-trousers rather than socks. Dont' really think that's necessary, socks that are closed tightly below the knee are usually sufficient. Sometimes leeches move up the legs quite quickly and then bite somewhere above the belt, so for this it helps to put some (a lot) of deet spray or on the socks, usually the leeches won't move up over this stuff... Also stuff your shirt inside the trousers.
Still some leeches may drop from above, no real help against this, just check when you feel sth. funny on your ear...

Often it is enough to wear long and strong socks, and stuff the trousers inside the socks, just check from time to time that the trousers don't slip out

Last edited:
My anti-leech get up for Sinharaja was as follows:
1. Regular socks tucked into trouser bottoms
2. OBC leech socks over the top of these with a band of roll-on deet near the top
3. Wellies
4. A band of deet around my waist
5. Shirt tucked into trousers

My body is a fortress, as they say, but using this approach meant that I didn't get bitten at all whilst in the forest. I did get bitten twice whilst asleep in bed, but you don't want to know about that.

Alternatively you can do what the local guides there do and just wear flip-flops. They don't tend to bite on the feet much (except between the toes) so if you keep an eye out you should be able to pick them off before they get going.

Leech Socks

Thanks for all the information.

It looks like leech socks are a reasonable piece of equipment to take to Borneo. Wearing flip-flops, or leech socks without regular socks under them (as suggested on one website) are non-starters for us.

Ideally, we're looking for:

- lightweight uncoated nylon material (durable, breathable, takes up less
space in boot);
- fixlock-adjustable cord closures (not as fiddly as knots for adjusting);
- sizes (S/M/L for less excess material)
- below the knee (above the knee binds when hiking);
- and some innocuous colour.

I've emailed one manufacturer about their leech socks, but no reply as yet.

Mike Penfold

Mike,
the ones I got were nice - above the knee was better for hiking (no binding) as they don't slip down. They weren't restrictive and they didn't fall down once - I used them for about 10 days.

By the way, I would have liked to have bought leech socks from the oriental bird club however these ones IMO are a lot better than the ones they sell.

Wearing blue didn't affect the birds I saw - the only potential bird I missed on this trip was Oriental Bay Owl - and that isn't an easy bird in Sri Lanka!

Thanks Mike.

Nomad Travel makes the leech socks sold on Amazon, which look like the best available.

Uncoated nylon
One size
Cord locks
Above the knee
Blue

Mike Penfold

Brilliant idea! Finally a way to combine supporting your club with birding. And to bring some color to the usual dull khaki and olive. Just imagine one of those...
And I am sure they work as good as any leech sock.

I've been in Borneo 3 times. Once - extremely dry. The other 2 - quite wet. During the dry time I remember spending a week in the Danum Valley with shorts and sandals. Beyond perfect. Narry a leach. This part of the world seems to have a much longer or lingering rainy season of late (we spend June and July in Indonesia) ---- but just incase it's dry ---- don't over dress. I've seen people sweating their asses off because of too much clothing - when simple things suffice.

On the other hand.... If it's wet and leachy where you'll be - remember, their bites can itch for a week or more. At least they itch for me. Make sure you have a small tube of antibiotic oitment and bandaids incase a scratched spot turns south a bit. This can be the case if you spend loads of time in the wet with no breaks.

Have fun. It's the best. Remember to interact with the locals too. Great tribal history and legacy. Also great WW2 history. Chris

The best . .

. ones I ever bought were from the visitor centre shop at Khao Yai NP, Thailand and made locally. Cheap, too.

Not much help to our enquirer, but maybe for the people who will be there during the coming birding season in that wonderful country.

As for colour, if they're pale, you can see if the little blighters are about to arch themselves over the top and on to your thigh !

Thanks again -- good information.

I'd rather be nipped by humour than a leech!

FWIW, we've worn Ex Officio insect repellent clothing in warm climates, without adverse effects.

For severe itching (like you can't sleep) caused by chiggers or mosquitoes, we've had good luck with Hydroxyzine and Betamethasone (0.1%). The Betamethasone should be applied sparingly, and just on the small area of the bite.

Mike Penfold

Last edited:
Leech socks revisited (re: #14)

I don’t think yellow is a sensible idea for birding accoutrements anywhere there are insects: it’s a colour that, in my experience, attracts them. Orange, too. Perhaps one of our more scientifically-equipped members could explain why.

Whilst having nothing against Borussia Dortmund FC, when in the jungle, serious damage could be caused by a yellow-and-black hornet/wasp-type sting.

Also, you wouldn’t be allowed (by FIFA, in the news for some reason) to wear this in Borneo- it’s not the away strip !

As Tony says, easiest thing to do is buy them from the Oriental Bird Club - simple but works as well as any other leech sock and they are in green.

Also - Borneo Rainforest Lodge sell Leech Socks, same kind as the OBC socks.

I always wear them without socks, so it's a bit lighter but still comfortable - mine are home-made, same style as OBC socks but slightly thicker so they fit nicely to replace regular socks. I also tie mine below the calf, just above the shoe - no leeches enter and it feels far more comfortable then above the calf.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back