• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carpet for ID (1 Viewer)

Jamie D

Hi,

I caught the following on 6/6 on Teesside. I suspect it is a Spruce Carpet but the jizz didn't feel correct and I think I may be missing something. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jamie

Attachments

• DSCN5865.jpg
    DSCN5865.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 149
J Duffie said:
Hi,

I caught the following on 6/6 on Teesside. I suspect it is a Spruce Carpet but the jizz didn't feel correct and I think I may be missing something. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jamie
Hi Jamie and welcome aboard.

I'm tending to agree with you that it doesn't seem like Spruce Carpet, but don't have an alternative suggestion. Hopefully others may be of more help.

J Duffie said:
Hi,

Thanks,
Jamie

I've had a look as well, and Spruce Carpet fits better than any other. The difference in the forewing marking is interesting, possibly a gynandrous specimen.

Harry

Angus T said:
I can feel you were itching to get that word out. ;)
Now that you have, would you explain it please.

Hello Angus,
A gynandromorph is a specimen which shows characteristics of both male and female of a species. It's not often apparent in moths but in certain species of butterfly the effect is quite startling.

E.G. in the Common Blue butterfly for instance a perfectly halved gynandromorph will show one side of the insect as male and the other side female. At other times the difference may only show on one wing.

Such specimens are caused by the fertilisation of a bi-nucleate egg and are quite rare. The term hemophrodite is sometimes used incorrectly to describe such specimens.

It is really only very apparent when the males and females of a species differ quite a lot in wing colouring, and that is more common in butterflies than moths.

In the picture of the Carpet there is a bar on the right hand forewing that appears to be missing on the left hand forewing, unless it has been lost by scales being accidently removed.

Such specimens cannot breed and their nads are a nightmare to prepare for microscopic examination as they tend to show similar characteristics, i.e. part male, part female. I've simplified the scientific explanation somewhat but thats about it.

Harry.

Thanks for input

thanks for all the comment. I am very impressed by the format of this site and the easy way you can follow through ID discussions with the picutres easily avaliable also

Regards,
Jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back