• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stone Curlew on Brownsman?! (1 Viewer)

Simon M

Is it just me that finds it very difficult to think of any record which is in any way comparable to this?! If its on Brownsman it's clearly a migrant: what the hell is a Stone Curlew doing migrating through Northumberland at this time of year? Also - who's hardy enough to be on Brownsman given the recent weather!

I presume none of the African Thick-Knees have irruptive behaviour al la Allen's Gallinule - just a thought!B :)

I'd have thought that the most 'likely' of the 'unlikely' turning up on Dec.1st would have been Stone Curlew over Golden Oriole!....Wonder what the extreme late dates are for both?

cheers :eek!:

I'd have thought that the most 'likely' of the 'unlikely' turning up on Dec.1st would have been Stone Curlew over Golden Oriole!....Wonder what the extreme late dates are for both?

cheers :eek!:

I flushed a Stone Curlew on Dartford Marshes a couple of weeks back and since then there has also been another one on the Orkneys. One at Dungeness would have been Kent's latest record ever had I not had the bird at Dartford a few days later.

Apparently some now winter in the Brecks?

Cheers,

Andy

Two weeks ago there were still 12 together at a site in the Norfolk Brecks. Reduced to 5 by 24th November and then three up to 26th. Not been to look since

Very surprising, but perhaps not quite as surprising as one might think in an historical context. According to the 'Handbook of British Birds' (still useful 70 years on!) states that "some winter fairly regularly in SW England and occasionally elsewhere even in N. England and once in Fife" and comments that "flock .... early October. Most leave by end of Oct., but stragglers fairly frequent early Nov". Of course, numbers are far, far lower now than in the 19th & 20th century, but so too are winter records these days. Given that one place in the UK (I forget exactly where) recorded both its coldest and warmest November day last month perhaps it's not quite so amazing as it first seems that one bird was still so far north

Is it just me that finds it very difficult to think of any record which is in any way comparable to this?! If its on Brownsman it's clearly a migrant: what the hell is a Stone Curlew doing migrating through Northumberland at this time of year? Also - who's hardy enough to be on Brownsman given the recent weather!

I presume none of the African Thick-Knees have irruptive behaviour al la Allen's Gallinule - just a thought!B :)

Brownsman's not open to the public at any time of year. The remaining Farnes wardens will have been keeping an eye on it.

An exceptional bird, both for the time of year and as a county record. If memory serves me right the August 2005 Boulmer bird was only the 6th county record, there was one on Holy Island earlier this year and now this one, so unless there's one I'm forgetting it'll be the 8th county record, or thereabouts.

Thanks John, very interesting. I remember from Allis (1844) about how "The Great Plover" bred in various parts of Yorkshire. Hopefully they'll continue to spread.

Stone Curlews have had an excellent breeding season in parts of Britain this year with an impressive increase in the Downland population in counties such as Hampshire, Berkshire and Wiltshire.

Furthermore, small numbers of Stone Curlews have been overwintering in the Brecks in recent years, despite the fact that Britain is now reverting to 'proper' winters once more.

It is most likely that the Farnes bird is that previously present on North Ronaldsay, although its original origin would be a complete mystery.

Furthermore, small numbers of Stone Curlews have been overwintering in the Brecks in recent years, despite the fact that Britain is now reverting to 'proper' winters once more.

Maybe, although I'm not sure one severe winter and a cold start to this one is a revertion to 'proper' winters as yet....

As they frequently take small rodents, I believe a Winter Stone Curlew is well placed to survive.

In even the coldest weather.

And on Farne? Plenty of life under the rotting wrack!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back