• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

the incredable skua (1 Viewer)

cateyes

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone here knew a lot on these birds? I have read up on them and have heard MANY stoyries about how they are the most agreessive birds in the world. BUT the thing i dont understand is they have webbed feet and dont seem all that powerful i mean how much can agression take a bird if it doesnt have the power to back it up? for example ive heard they will kill other birds almost the same size of them and steal food from gennets who are larger birds by beating them into giving up their kill! how are they able to do this which a bird that large? FURthermore ive heard they will attack GREAT black backed gulls also who have a horrible reputation for being very agressive as well! JUSt curious is there anything out there that has been known to prey on skuas? Anywhere i can get footage of these amazing birds in action?

Hi Cateyes,

Just because their feet are webbed, doesn't mean they're not tough!! - they also have very sharp claws as well. But to kill other birds (which Great and Pomarine Skuas do, at any rate - not Arctic or Long-tailed Skuas [Jaegers]), they mainly use their bill, which is stout, heavy, and very strong.

Their usual tactic is to fly up to a bird (yes, Great Black-backed Gulls included!), and grab it by the wing. This makes the victim stall in mid-air, and drop down onto the sea; the skua then lands on its back and stabs it in the back or on the head, with very powerful blows which can soon kill the other bird.

Michael

cateyes said:
Hello

have heard MANY stoyries about how they are the most agreessive birds in the world. BUT the thing i dont understand is they have webbed feet and dont seem all that powerful i mean how much can agression take a bird if it doesnt have the power to back it up? for example ive heard they will kill other birds almost the same size of them and steal food from gennets who are larger birds by beating them into giving up their kill! how are they able to do this which a bird that large? FURthermore ive heard they will attack GREAT black backed gulls also who have a horrible reputation for being very agressive as well!

Yes, they're aggressive but the most aggressive bird in the world? A lot of this is hype from scaremongering crofters trying to get people to believe that their sheep die because of Great Skuas (aka Bonxies) not poor management!

I'd rather visit a Bonxie nest than a Ural Owl, for example!!

Great Skua is one of my favourite birds and its pot-bellied figure is a common sight in several parts of the country between March and August. In some areas it is easily the most conspicuous bird. I love the way its lazy flight action suddenly transforms with a incredible burst of energy into a helter-skelter chase when it sees something interesting, usually a Puffin or a Kittiwake which it may rob or just eat whole. They are aggressive to people (and sheep, which eat a lot of bird eggs) entering their territories but I've been on the receiving end of a Great Skua attack and numerous Arctic Tern attacks and the tern is just as bad. Great Black-backed Gulls are formidable predators but are hopeless at attacking large intruders to their territories, Arctic Terns could teach them a lot.

I heard a story once, perhaps apocryphal, of the first Great Skua record in the Czech Republic. It was captured and put in an aviary with various other birds because people didn't know what it was and left over night until ornithologists came to ID it. The next day dawned and they found a very replete Great Skua and everything else dead around it. Can anybody confirm or pooh-pooh this story?

I don't know about predators. Here in Iceland the only thing capable of killing a Great Skua would be White-tailed Eagle (Gyr Falcons leave them well alone) but I don't know if this has ever been recorded.

Arctic Skuas will also catch other birds. A friend of mine has a brilliant and gruesome series of one catching and killing a Snipe in Iceland.

E

ID love to see footage of a skua attacking a great blacked back gull! does this also go both ways though? as in the skua is sometimes the one being attacked by this monster sized gull? furthermore is there ANY known bird that will attack or kill a skua? Or are they just way to fast for that?

im suprised gry falcons leave skuas alone they are large powerful fast raptors themsleves i woudl think they would take any bird close to their size.

I remember being told a story about Great Skuas (Bonxies) on Fair Isle. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's believable. A guy was staying who wanted to photograph Bonxies and he had gone out onto the hill on the island to do just that. He didn't return for dinner however and people at the bird observatory started to get worried. They went out on the hill and eventually found him, lying unconscious, with a dead Bonxie next to him. They don't normally try to hit people when defending their nest, but I guess this one misjudged.

Edward said:
I heard a story once, perhaps apocryphal, of the first Great Skua record in the Czech Republic. It was captured and put in an aviary with various other birds because people didn't know what it was and left over night until ornithologists came to ID it. The next day dawned and they found a very replete Great Skua and everything else dead around it. Can anybody confirm or pooh-pooh this story?
E

THis is more or less true. The bird was ringed in Shetland and found in Czech Republic where it was described by it's finders as a web-footed buzzard. As it was clearly not fit it was taken to Prague Zoo and put in the aviary there. The ring was reported via the normal channels, but a few months after the bird was put in the zoo Shetland RG got a letter asking where they should release the bird, as it was terrorising the other birds in the aviary!!

Fifebirder said:
I remember being told a story about Great Skuas (Bonxies) on Fair Isle. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's believable. A guy was staying who wanted to photograph Bonxies and he had gone out onto the hill on the island to do just that. He didn't return for dinner however and people at the bird observatory started to get worried. They went out on the hill and eventually found him, lying unconscious, with a dead Bonxie next to him. They don't normally try to hit people when defending their nest, but I guess this one misjudged.

This one isn't true, AFAIK, but I have heard it before. I think that there was a visitor to Noss in Shetland once who was found dead on the island. He had a heart attack, but no-one knows if was due to a skua. THis is the root of this story I believe.

Great Skuas actually rarely hit people. I've been hit twice in 18 years in Shetland. They usually hit people who duck, but then forget to duck later, when the skua has readjusted it's sights. They always dive into the wind as well, which makes them easy to predict.

Arctic Skuas (Parasitic Jaegers) are worse IMO. They DO deliberately hit people and they always attack from behind. One very aggressive pair used to nest just north of the observatory on Fair Isle and on occasion a visitor was watched crawling past them to avoid being hit! (I think that's a true story - I certainly belived it when I was told on Fair Isle in 1986).

cateyes said:
ID love to see footage of a skua attacking a great blacked back gull! does this also go both ways though? as in the skua is sometimes the one being attacked by this monster sized gull? furthermore is there ANY known bird that will attack or kill a skua? Or are they just way to fast for that?

Great Skuas are not fast - just powerful and fearless.

In Shetland, the only bird that will attack Great Skuas is Great Skuas!! Martin Heubeck in Scottish Bird in 1992 noted seeing successful attacks by skuas on skuas. GBB Gulls don't attack skuas, but they do compete for the same food - I'd back the skua any day and I know of several instances of GBBs being killed by Great Skuas.

where have u read of these instances? IS there any gull out there other then other skuas that are just as agressive and powerful as a skua? its just i watched this show on great black backed gulls and they seemed like ruthless predators im suprised a skua can kill such a huge bird! do you know of any web sites i can read more on skuas or the presant subject? some things in nature just confuse me! I THINK a lot of information in books is also not that valid though if this is where a lot of info is comming from. For example in this book i have it states that kelp gulls will kill birds the size of pigeons. This makes me kinda skeptical because kelp gulls are the same size and look almost EXACTLy like herring gulls and we all know herring gulls arent that formatable for example while feeding a bunch of pigeons frys when i was by the shore herring gulls would grab a pigeon by the back of their neck and make them drop the fry. WHY wouldnt the gull just kill the pigeon? probably because they arent equipped to do the job. Furthermore i read in my book that great horned owls have been known to kill swans. This also i find hard to beleive the fact that a great horned owl is 5 pounds at max and a swan is around 26 pounds! Furthermore swans themselves are suppose to be able to seriously injure a man with their wings. Its just so many things ive read dont seem all that possible and makes me wonder how correct information in books really are. Just a statement not trying to say that its always the case just that how do we know when things are just fibs?

OHHHH please let me correct that in the book it says kelp gulls are known to kill birds the size of pigeons but i meant to say it says kelp gulls are known to kill birds up to the size of geese! LOL (even though id have a hard time believing the pigeon)

I've seen Bonxies do some awesome things. On Lewis in May this year, I saw one just plummet into the centre of an Arctic Tern colony. The Terns went insane and the Bonxie thought it best to get out quick. Another disgusting thing was when I saw a Kittiwake literally get turned inside out by a Bonxie just metres from our boat; the little girl sitting next to me was devastated!!!

Books? Depends on your book, really. The Bumper Book of Amazing Facts is not as authorative as the Handbook of the Birds of the World.

That said, I see nothing in the list by cateyes that sounds unreasonable, bar the bit about swans breaking human limbs, which I believe to be an urban myth.

Yes, Bonxies do some gruesome things - but they have to live.

Incidentally, it would appear that Great Skuas (Bonxies) are causing so many problems in the North Atlantic because they are newly arrived from the South Atlantic (possibly within the last 500 years) and they are revelling in the huge amounts of free food available. Down south, skuas scavenge around the edge of seabird colonies, but down there they are on the edge of dense penguin and albatross colonies and you don't want to be a bonxie messing with them. Up here, the Kittiwakes and Puffins must seem terribly wimpy to the Bonxies.

mike just curious what did you mean by you dont want to be a bonxie messing with albatross and penguins? as in they defend themselves agressivly?

cateyes said:
mike just curious what did you mean by you dont want to be a bonxie messing with albatross and penguins? as in they defend themselves agressivly?

Albatrosses and penguins in the South Atlantic breed in very dense colonies and the skuas are only allowed to scavenge around the outside. Any skua entering the colony runs the gauntlet of many, sharp beaks weilded by birds considerabley larger than they are. No contest.

Similarly, I've never seen a Bonxie up here enter the Gannet colony. They are aggressive, but they're bullies and, like all bullies, they only attack when they know the odds are stacked in their favour.

Mike Pennington said:
That said, I see nothing in the list by cateyes that sounds unreasonable, bar the bit about swans breaking human limbs, which I believe to be an urban myth.

I would have thought so too but we've been having a discussion on our Icelandic web group about aggressive Whooper Swans (one member saw one chasing a ewe and two lambs for a couple of hundred metres last week). 20 years ago one ornithologist here witnessed a Whooper Swan killing a sheep, breaking a rib and causing the sheep to bleed to death. So perhaps it's not an urban myth, despite sounding like one.

E

Single Bonxie terrorising gulls

My most impressive memory of Great Skua is the first one I found in Bedfordshire, at Stewartby Lake (in 1985, I think). It turned up in winter, early afternoon in very dull weather with quite light winds, and on returning for another look near dusk, it was sitting, completely on its own in the middle of the lake, with all of the thousands of gulls which normally roosted there (of all the common species, including quite a few Great Blacks), circling overhead giving alarm calls, and none daring to land!

Hi David,

Welcome to BirdForum!

That sounds impressive, and interesting that the gulls responded like that - occasionally I've seen them (particularly Kittiwakes) panic a bit, but mostly, Bonxies and big gulls mix pretty freely when they're all following a trawler (or boatload of birders putting out 'chum'). Times like this, the gulls show no fear of them at all, which is why I think perhaps how Great Skuas can hunt them successfully, because they've perhaps not had time to evolve "big skua awareness"

I've also seen a Bonxie attack a Sooty Shearwater, unsuccessfully. The shearwater dived each time the Bonxie grabbed for it, but although grabbed repeatedly each time the shearwater surfaced, the skua never managed to get a successful hold & kill. Maybe Sooties, having evolved alongside big skuas in the southern hemisphere, have better escape tactics?

Mike Pennington said:
Incidentally, it would appear that Great Skuas (Bonxies) are causing so many problems in the North Atlantic because they are newly arrived from the South Atlantic (possibly within the last 500 years)
Hi Mike,

Agreed they're probably recent additions to the North Atlantic, but longer ago than 500 years, as the Vikings had a distinct name for them - a minimum of 1000-1200 years, probably more

Michael

Edward said:
I would have thought so too but we've been having a discussion on our Icelandic web group about aggressive Whooper Swans (one member saw one chasing a ewe and two lambs for a couple of hundred metres last week). 20 years ago one ornithologist here witnessed a Whooper Swan killing a sheep, breaking a rib and causing the sheep to bleed to death. So perhaps it's not an urban myth, despite sounding like one.

E

Yes, the first pair in Shetland also terrorised sheep and the RSPB appointed a warden to watch them! Still think there is a difference between humans and sheep - usually 8-0

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back