• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Myna (1 Viewer)

I'm hoping to start a discussion thread on ways of controlling the numbers of the Common myna bird in Australasia.
It is the second ranked invasive pest in Australia and they reduce numbers of native species by raiding nests and destroying eggs.

I've been reading about a trap called the "mynamagnet". Has anyone used one of these?
If so, do you have ant tips or suggestions on using it effectively?
I'm thinking of getting one.

i agree control measures are needed, i live on the edge of central vic highlands and they are verywhere at the moment

I agree with the principle of control, and have considered one of these traps.

However whilst Myna's are classed as a pest in Victoria I am concerned about the 'testimonial' on the Mynamagnet web page from the 'Boarding kennel / cattery in Melbourne', who state that the killed the birds by hooking the cage up to a hose from the family car exhaust.

This is what DPI Victoria have to say on the matter.....
Control
Control is at the discretion of individual landowners and must comply with other relevant legislation.
The use of cage traps is the most commonly deployed technique. Localised trapping may reduce numbers in the short term but this may not make a significant difference to overall population due to rapid recolonisation by birds moving in from other areas. Please note that any trapping undertaken in Victoria must be in accordance with Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2008, which can be found on the DPI website.
Research in other States has looked at the practicalities of trapping Indian Mynas. The use of trapping as a control tool used in isolation of other control methods is unlikely to result in successful broad-scale management of this pest, however there has been some localised success with trapping programs. One notable example of such localised success has been through the Canberra Indian Myna Action Group Inc.

Humane Euthanasia
Once captured, the recommended method for the humane euthanasia of Indian Mynas in Victoria is the injection of barbiturates by a veterinarian. Another method supported by the Victorian Government is cervical dislocation, when undertaken by a person who is trained and highly competent. To minimise stress on birds they should be taken to a vet as soon as captured for immediate euthanasia. Any euthansed birds must be disposed of appropriately, according to local regulations for waste disposal.
There has been research into euthanasia by carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2), however the Victorian Government and National Office of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) recommends further investigation before they can be considered humane methods of euthanasia of Common (Indian) Mynas.

The thing that has put me off getting a trap is I would want to ensure the birds were disposed of humanely and I am not sure how keen a vet would be to dispose of a dozen mynas once a month or so, and what the associated cost would be [and importantly whether it would make any difference what so ever to the local native birds]

I had stacks of info as one past warehouse I worked at had a problem, though not major. One method of euthanasia was the exhaust fume and apparently cold exhaust fume is OK, not hot as it would obviously inhumanely burn the airways, which would defeat the purpose of being a humane "execution".

I had stacks of info as one past warehouse I worked at had a problem, though not major. One method of euthanasia was the exhaust fume and apparently cold exhaust fume is OK, not hot as it would obviously inhumanely burn the airways, which would defeat the purpose of being a humane "execution".

OK according to who! And in which jurisdictions?

I'd be very cautious in Victoria given what the DPI website says. Wouldn't want to end up one the wrong end of an RSPCA prosecution.

OK according to who! And in which jurisdictions?

I'd be very cautious in Victoria given what the DPI website says. Wouldn't want to end up one the wrong end of an RSPCA prosecution.

I am in NSW and it is permitted according to the pest control company!

They are a huge problem here in Oman also. 20 years ago there were none and now they must be the commonest bird to be seen in and around Muscat.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back