• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings in essex recent? (1 Viewer)

Morrisons car park in Maldon, this afternoon

Attachments

• 5280269990_019bcd439b_o.jpg
    5280269990_019bcd439b_o.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 103
.there is a large flock in Mladon at the moment, reported as 100+. Didn't count them but I've certainly never seen that many together before. Near maldon Town FC

.there is a large flock in Mladon at the moment, reported as 100+. Didn't count them but I've certainly never seen that many together before. Near maldon Town FC

There was alot i think saw some in a field..Only had seconds because was in car but got a quick look and was sure they where waxwings!! So i'm very happy!

I am jealous of you wildlifelove as I haven't seen any this year. The only one I have seen was in galleywood common last year in the spring time!
I will try and get to maldon after Christmas.

I am jealous of you wildlifelove as I haven't seen any this year. The only one I have seen was in galleywood common last year in the spring time!
I will try and get to maldon after Christmas.

Can't be 100% that they where waxwings but i'm sure they was!! Never seen them and was shell shocked when i saw them!

If they were in a field then there were almost certainly not Waxwings, Waxwings rarely come down to the ground unless to fallen fruit or to bathe. If the birds were in a field more likely winter thrushes

Further sightings of Essex Waxwings in past two days have been 40+ at Tesco in Pitsea, 40+ Shoebury at Ravenscroft Drive and 25+ near Friars Park, 40+ in Southend at Oaken Grange Drive, 40+ in Leigh on Sea near Bonchurch Park and 25+ on Canvey by the Dutch Cottage. 75+ Braintree in Peel Crescent, 20+ Basildon at Little Lullaway, 100+ Maldon on Mermaid Way and 33+ on Mariners Way. Several short staying groups at Rainham Marshes.

Waxwings in field

If they were in a field then there were almost certainly not Waxwings, Waxwings rarely come down to the ground unless to fallen fruit or to bathe. If the birds were in a field more likely winter thrushes

Sorry Steve - some of the Maldon ones yesterday were flying down and pottering about in the field - it was frozen so they weren't bathing and I couldn't see any fallen fruit, they were a little way from the hedge so I wouldn't have thought the fruit would have fallen that far anyway. Not sure what they were doing but I can assure you they were definitely Waxwings!!!

Hi Viv

My response was to Wildlifelove where Waxwings were seen briefly in a field from a car.

In all the years that I've seen Waxwings I've only seen them on the ground once and that was to drink and bathe in a puddle. They do come down to fallen apples etc when usual food sources are scarce so it is rather strange that those birds were coming down into a field unless there was food for them there?

Last edited:
Hi Viv

My response was to Wildlifelove where Waxwings were seen briefly in a field from a car.

In all the years that I've seen Waxwings I've only seen them on the ground once and that was to drink and bathe in a puddle. They do come down to fallen apples etc when usual food sources are scarce so it is rather strange that those birds were coming down into a field unless there was food for them there?

Hi Steve

I agree, I've never seen them on the ground before. No idea what they were doing, they didn't seem to be feeding and as I said I doubt the berries would have fallen that far from the hedge. They just seemed to fly down, almost have a leg stretch and fly back up again, to be replaced by others.

Very odd.

Viv

60+ Waxwing in Shoebury today along Eagle Way, been around this area for a week.

Excellent views of these birds

Attachments

• Waxwing Eagle Way Shoebury 261210 WEB 101.JPG
    Waxwing Eagle Way Shoebury 261210 WEB 101.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Waxwing Eagle Way Shoebury 261210 WEB 249 v2.JPG
    Waxwing Eagle Way Shoebury 261210 WEB 249 v2.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 78
  • Waxwing Eagle Way Shoebury 261210 WEB 205.JPG
    Waxwing Eagle Way Shoebury 261210 WEB 205.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 87
80 Waxwings feeding in Rowan trees between Tesco's Garage in Pitsea and the adjacent Go Outdoors superstore. Theye were reported yesterday pm, this morning around 0910 and I saw them from 1140 to 1230. Unfortunately no sales discount on Paramo clothing in Go Outdoors.

Was on my way down to Southend earlier and was going to pop in but the a13 was so bad I turned off and went round the back of Basildon so missed them

we had 30 at dutch cottage for a week because there was no water they would come to the ground to eat snow steve was right they were probly looking for water .dave

Attachments

• waxwing11.jpg
    waxwing11.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 79
  • waxwing13.jpg
    waxwing13.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 82
  • wax5.jpg
    wax5.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back