• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird shooting still a big 'hobby' of some (1 Viewer)

Why do people think shooting birds is such a great hobby? :(

Because “hunting” is one of the things that human beings--particularly men--have been evolved to do. The trick under modern conditions is to redirect the hunting instinct into some more benign channel such as bird watching or bird photography. Unfortunately, not always easy to do.

Its really sad - our feathered friends fly hundreds if not a thousand miles in difficult conditions to be with us and what welcome do they get?

someone hiding in wait with a gun thats what

Certain people are retards. It will take a lot of time and effort to teach children of retards to behave differently, but eventually they will be up to our standards, I'm convinced.

Best regards,

Ronald Sinoo

My initial reaction can't be put on here. Seeing such a majestic bird killed just upset me greatly. I disagree with hunting for sport full stop. Its just murder.

You asked why do people shoot birds? I ask this question every time I see hunters in Libya. Its not a big hunting country (compared with most of the Arab world) partly because all guns are banned but there are exceptions where people risk being seen with a gun 1. for food - a shot duck is very cheap food 2. some teenage boys are bored stiff 3. there is a cultural thing about shooting in the area from Tobruk (far east of Libya) east to the Egyptian border particularly along the coast.

It's the cultural thing I just don't get. In September there is a ritual so I am told on the beaches . Where's the fun in killing a bird as it lands exhausted on the coast having flown across the Med?

my blog - updated every day

Aliens looking around? They wouldn't stop long enough to get their passports checked. I despair for mankind. Let the gentler race rule.

Because people are idiots.

That sums it up nicely...!

Because “hunting” is one of the things that human beings--particularly men--have been evolved to do.

That and many people here are bored out of their wits :(
Something I'll never understand....

someone hiding in wait with a gun thats what

They don't even seem to be hiding here. I've seen a lot of shells on open ground :(

but eventually they will be up to our standards, I'm convinced.

I hope you are right. Right now it seems to be a few people (a growing number though it seems), trying to get more areas for the animals / birds against greed, making room for more houses (a big piece of the coastal ecosystem went to the dogs) and morons like these (I don't want to call them hunters) shooters.
I sure hope the few that keep up the work for the wildlife will get more attention and help from the government to protect the birds from being shot.

My initial reaction can't be put on here. Seeing such a majestic bird killed just upset me greatly.

I know what you mean. I first saw that photo of the Osprey and thought, wow, they are here too (last time I saw them in Egypt and was wondering if I get to see one here). And then the news that he got shot.
Anger and sadness almost choked me :(

I disagree with hunting for sport full stop. Its just murder.

In Hungary the sport hunters go out with the forest workers who know their animals. The sportsters get to shoot and the animals shot will be turned into good meat. At least they don't go to waste ,....

You asked why do people shoot birds? I ask this question every time I see hunters in Libya. Its not a big hunting country (compared with most of the Arab world) partly because all guns are banned but there are exceptions where people risk being seen with a gun 1. for food - a shot duck is very cheap food 2. some teenage boys are bored stiff 3. there is a cultural thing about shooting in the area from Tobruk (far east of Libya) east to the Egyptian border particularly along the coast.

It's the cultural thing I just don't get. In September there is a ritual so I am told on the beaches . Where's the fun in killing a bird as it lands exhausted on the coast having flown across the Med?

I get the hunting for food part.
But cultural (shooting exhausted migrating birds and shooting just out of boredom is plain sick :(

@The Sniper
I wanna shovel firecrackers up their behind,..... :/

What would aliens from another planet think of life here if they ever land on earth?

Treat us like no brain insects and try to get rid of us, before we destroy the Beauty of our earth totally?

@cugsy
I'm sure we are in for some big kick in the behind from Mother nature in the not too far future.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back