• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EU commissioner slams Malta on Illegal hunting (1 Viewer)

David

Margot Wallstrom , Environment Commissioner has stated that the European Commission is determined to take "all the necessary action" in line with existing EU legislation and procedures should the hunting regulations in Malta continue to be flouted.
In reply to a letter sent by BirdLife Malta in late April, after what they claimed to be a bloodbath in the skies, she advised BirdLife Malta that EU legislation should have been implemented and enforced from the first day of EU membership.
BirdLife president Joseph Mangion had also urged the Ms. Wallström to send a monitoring mission to Malta during the bird migration season and called for an immediate end to the spring derogation, which allows the hunting of a number of species in spring.
In her letter, Commissioner Wallstrom said she had already specifically drawn the attention of the Maltese authorities to the problem of weak enforcement of the existing legislation on the protection of birds. Additionally she pointed out that a priority for the Maltese Ornis committee in charge of bird protection is to produce a strategy for the enforcement of legislation.
The Commission will continue to monitor and report on the progress made by Malta in working towards compliance with obligations stemming from the Birds Directive, Ms. Wallström emphasised.
From accession on 1st of May 2004, Malta was required to implement and enforce the Wild Birds Directive, with the exception of the transition period granted to allow the trapping of seven species of finches until December 2008.
"We hope you will be assured of the Commission's interest in putting an end to illegal killing of birds in Malta and also our interest that all EU countries respect EU legislation," Ms Wallstrom wrote.
Only last Saturday, the police's administrative law enforcement unit intercepted a hunter who tried to gun down a spoonbill at Salina.
BirdLife said the police were doing their utmost to control the situation but in the prevailing circumstances they were overwhelmed by the extent of the illegal hunting.
This news is available courtesy of BirdLife Malta and the Times of Malta.

I can't see anything improving in Malta for at least 5 years the way the E.U. works . They'd have to send in U.N. to enforce the law as most of the Maltese police are probably bird shooters themselves. I crossed Malta off my holliday destinations years ago, whenever I hear anyone saying they are thinking of visiting Malta I tell them of the appaling tratment they deal out to the birds.

It can only get better in the new circumstances. But, I cannot see why the police cannot simply remove the large scale liming and netting that is put on the clifftops of southern Malta every spring and autumn. That would be a start.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back