• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any feedback on Pentax DCF CS 10x42? (1 Viewer)

Tjulen

Hello,

I'm still into buying a new binoculars and I noticed a Pentax DCF CS. I would appreciate if anyone could share his/her personal experience with that binoculars and how does it compare with Nikon Monarch 10x42 (I'm choosing between those two). Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Both of those review sites are pretty dodgy in their methods. The 1st site doesn't really judge optical quality at all, but goes on and on about it's ''importance.''

The 2nd, in the full size bins. comparo., tests the Swaro but no FL's, Nikon's, Leica's etc., just a bunch of mid-fielders.

Ok, but can you then give your impression of the 3 I mentioned ? The 2nd site tested the Monarch, Pentax and Bushnell Legend under the Full-Size, which I am interested in. I'm not paying $1000 for a binocular.

Last edited:
My wife has the 10 x 36 Legend Ultra. Briefly, the optics are very good......no CA at all, good colour and resolution although lots of distortion.

Build quality a bit suspect....eye cups seem loose and flimsy, focus baffle rattles, objective covers useless.

Overall, a very good optical package in a rather cheap suit.

Not a review but the specs.

The CS are a new model from Pentax. Pentax said they were going to get back into the bino business after their previous models got a bit long in the tooth. First the 36mm HS was updated to the NV (from weather proof to immersion waterproof). Now this model. I wonder if we'll see new ED glass models from Pentax next? Perhaps a new spotters too?

They seem to be aimed squarely at the Nikon Monarch midrange. They're light. A little heavier than the Monarchs but very light for a 42mm bin. They have a wider FOV (7.5°) than the Monarch's (6.2°) and previous Pentax bins (6.5°).

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-cs-8x42-binocular?tab=specifications#tabs

Magnification 8x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Field of View 393 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 21 mm
Close Focus 8.2 feet
Weight 22.6 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 5.8 x 5.3
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof
Outdoor life says:
Pentax DCF CS 8x42

This big, beefy binocular continues Pentax’s long legacy of crisp optics in an affordable package. The bino earned a great resolution score, but scuffled a bit in our low-light test. It won high praise for its clicking center diopter wheel, big eyecups and light weight.

Overall Rating:

Report Card:
Optical Quality: 7th
Image: B
Design: B
Price/Value: B+

Lightweight and beefy: quite a combo!

There is also a 10x42 model with 6.0° FOV with slightly less weight and ER.

Magnification 10x
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Field of View 315 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief 18 mm
Close Focus 8.2 feet
Weight 21.7 ounces
Dimensions (HxW) 5.6 x 5.3 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the Pentax, even though the Bushnell comes with ED glass, and the Pentax not, it just seems like there's not much difference between the 2, and I've heard the Bushnell eye relief might be an issue for some people.

I had a quick look at a pair of Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42 today. It had the most dramatic pincushion I've ever seen. Quite nausiating as I panned with it. The CA, while not bad, was was quite noticeable as well. Could have been a faulty pair I guess. The Hawke Frontier ED was much better, put personally I find the focus a bit slow for my liking. Not seen the Pentax yet. I'd be interested in what anyone thinks. I like the handling of the Monarch, but really can't warm to the view.

David

I had a quick look at a pair of Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42 today. It had the most dramatic pincushion I've ever seen. Quite nausiating as I panned with it. The CA, while not bad, was was quite noticeable as well. Could have been a faulty pair I guess. The Hawke Frontier ED was much better, put personally I find the focus a bit slow for my liking. Not seen the Pentax yet. I'd be interested in what anyone thinks. I like the handling of the Monarch, but really can't warm to the view.

David

I have the 8x42 DCF CS on order. Should have it next week. I'l let youknow what it's like. Not the 10x42 you're interested in but I should be able to give you some useful info all the same.

Martin,

Please do. Still hoping to find an affordable big brother to my non-waterproof 7x26. I've not found a roof below the £600 mark that gives a comparable center sharpness. Almost resigned to the Monarchs as the pragmatic option but haven't quite given up hope.

David

Thanks for the info Martin, but I have already ordered the 8x42 DCF CS last week, it should arrive here in the next 2 weeks or so I think. I think they're a good compromise between the Monarch and Bushnell, more eye relief than Bushnell, more FOV than Monarch, and probably very much same optic quality as both, for my eyes anyway.

Last edited:
I think they're a good compromise between the Monarch and Bushnell, more eye relief than Bushnell, more FOV than Monarch, and probably very much same optic quality as both, for my eyes anyway.

Mine should be here today or tomorrow. I am hoping they will be as you describe them. The extra fov and e/r is what made me decide on them too.

Will let you all know what they're like as soon as I can.

Thanks, I think you will be getting yours before I get mine. Mine's on back order from an online shop, and will only be here in 2 weeks at the least ... :-C

Pentax DCF CS 8x42

I got them today.

Only had time for a very quick look through them at lunch time. But for me that was long enough to decide that I don't like them.

The ergonomics are good, they are lightweight but sit well in my hands and the eye-relief is good for my glasses. I had to twist the eyecups out about 1mm to get it right. Focus was smooth with no slack in it and easy but not too easy to turn. Just over one and three quarter turns from end to end.
They felt good in the hands, easy to use.

The fov is 7.5* on the spec. I didn't measure it but it felt a bit cramped.

Now the view- oh dear!

At first I thought it pleasant enough on the very first look. They are very sharp in the centre with a large sweetspot, say 60%, good contrast, but it didn't take long for problems to show themselves.

At times there was a partial halo of glare in the outer lower quadrants of the view. I couldn't work out what was causing it. It was there with the sun behind me and in front of me. The sun light was weak winter sun on a very cloudy day, by the way.
At other times there was a yellow hazy circle right at the very edge of the fov. Like a glowing hazy circle of yellow light. Again I couldn't work out if a particular position relative to the sun was causing this.

After just a 5-10 minute view, I couldn't take any more and boxed them back up. They're going right back where they came from asap.

The sticky label on them says "Hoya Made in Malaysia." The same Hoya that make camera lens filters I assume.

Sorry it's such a brief description but I decided not to waste my time on them. Ugghhh!

Hopefully I got a lemon and others are better but I wont be finding out because even If another pair didn't have the glare and haze, judging by the view in the centre of these ones, they are not what I expect for £270.

They are not as good as Opticron BGA SE 8x42s which I tried in a shop this evening. Admittedly I was indoors under shop lighting but the BGA SEs were so much better. They have a wow factor when you look through them. They cost £100 more though, to be fair.

Best wishes
Martin

The same Hoya that make camera lens filters I assume.

The same Hoya that owns the Pentax brand. And makes camera accessories. And makes lot fo optical glass. And prescription lenses.

They're a typical big vertically integrated Japanese corporation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoya_Corporation

At times there was a partial halo of glare in the outer lower quadrants of the view. I couldn't work out what was causing it. It was there with the sun behind me and in front of me. The sun light was weak winter sun on a very cloudy day, by the way.

Could be reflection from the sun behind you in the oculars?

Could be incorrect IPD and eyeplacement and picking up glare at the edge of the exit pupil or just outside the exit pupil.

And they could just have a problem with veiling glare.

Cloudy overcast days are actually the hardest on bins with quite bright light from all angles. It often ferrets out glare weaknesses.

One thing you could do ... photograph or look at the stray light around the exit pupils.

Take a look at the allbinos.com site. They take photos of the oculars with a well illuminated bin to show the exit pupil and stray light around them. Or you could just try to describe them. Or find a similar match at allbinos.

e.g. http://allbinos.com/107-binoculars_review-Olympus_10x42_EXWP_I.html

Last edited:
Hoya also owns the Kenko brand of binos that appeared in the shops recently. I had a quick look a pair of the Ultraview 10x42 DH and thought the glass pretty good for the price. The build left something to be desired though. Too wet to be interested in an outdoor test that day.

David

Thank you everyone for your help! Really appreciate it. Today I tested that Pentax (10x42) vs. Nikon Monarch 10x42 through all day and in different weather conditions. Monarch was way better in most cases. The only think I really liked about Pentax was its ergonomics. So Nikon Monarch is a GO and I'll order it in a few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back