• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic TM300 Camcorder (1 Viewer)

philip parsons

These are photographs of my latest setup for videoscoping.
The setup includes, as you will see, Nikon ED 82 Fieldscope, modified
lens attachment to scope, manufactured from 'SRB GRITURN', modified
'GSO Superview' 50mm (focal point) Astonomy lens, Panasonic TM300
Camcorder and Support bracket.
Has anyone else tried to use Astronomy lenses? I recommend this particular lens because it almost eliminates vignetting.
I have also provided a link to 'YOUTUBE' showing video of Waxwings taken with this set up on christmas eve - sorry about the noise of the traffic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQLRfuTCraUthis

Attachments

• setup1cam.jpg
    setup1cam.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 215
  • setup2cam.jpg
    setup2cam.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 192
  • setup3cam.jpg
    setup3cam.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 188
  • setup4cam.jpg
    setup4cam.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 213
Nice work Philip, how far away from the bird? I am awaiting a new Opticron GS 815 GA ED scope and low mag eyepiece. Coupled with my new (yes, I have been on a spree :) ) Sony HD camcorder, i am hoping for some good weather.

My attachment is simply a tube screwed on to the camera, the threaded part care of SRB Griturn :)

Den

Impressive videoscoping, Phil. A good, sharp image with only minimal vignetting evident in the last few clips of the bird against the sky. I have just the same problem and think it is caused by the aperture setting on the camcorder.

Mike

Hi Philip
Impressive videos. I am trying to get a set up for my new Sony CX550 and my Swarowski 80 with a 25-50X eyepiece. I have tried linking the two with the Swarowski DCA but vignetting is a big problem then if you zoom in to reduce the vignetting you end up with a 'monster sized' bird.
You say you are using a 'modified' GSO superview 50mm lens, what size is the thread and how else have you modified it?
My other thought was the Eagle eye optic zoom X5 telephoto lens have you any thoughts about this product? I guess looking at your set up I could then attach the camcorder using one of these options onto the DCA.
Looking at the photos of your set up is the GSO lens sitting inside your camera adapter?
If anyone is able to offer any suggestions or help I would be very grateful.
Kind regards Kim

Last edited:
Hi Kim,

How about the EagleEye Digiscoping Eyepiece? On my Swarovski 80 scope it gives 12x magnification and works well with my old Sony PC330E camcorder which has a 10x zoom.

With this combo I can get a usable zoom range of 25-100x giving good results. Vignetting occurs below 25x and I have a minor problem of a "soft centre" of the image from about 90x upwards. I think the problem is caused by the auto exposure settings on my camcorder which I cannot adjust.

A similar problem occurs when I videoscope using my 7D and 20-60x eyepiece. By manually closing the aperture by about one stop the "softness", or possible lack of contrast, disappears.

In the distant past I have used an EagleEye 5x telephoto lens but I was not impressed with the quality of images when used with a Coolpix 4500. I have never tried it for shooting video.

Mike

Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply. So the problem is the scope eyepiece magnification. My new Sony is a X10 zoom same as yours so that might be the answer.
Many thanks Kim

Hi Philip
Impressive videos. I am trying to get a set up for my new Sony CX550 and my Swarowski 80 with a 25-50X eyepiece. I have tried linking the two with the Swarowski DCA but vignetting is a big problem then if you zoom in to reduce the vignetting you end up with a 'monster sized' bird.
You say you are using a 'modified' GSO superview 50mm lens, what size is the thread and how else have you modified it?
My other thought was the Eagle eye optic zoom X5 telephoto lens have you any thoughts about this product? I guess looking at your set up I could then attach the camcorder using one of these options onto the DCA.
Looking at the photos of your set up is the GSO lens sitting inside your camera adapter?
If anyone is able to offer any suggestions or help I would be very grateful.
Kind regards Kim

Hello Kim,
Sorry about the delay in replying, I have been away.
The GSO Superview lens I use, slides into the camera adapter which is screwed into the scope, this enables me to focus on birds close and far away.
I have modified the lens by unscrewing the 2" diameter astronomy lens adapter and therefore detatching it from the lens. This enables the lens to be positioned closer to the nikon fieldscope lens to acheive proper focus of the attached camcorder.
I filed the end of the lens case so I could attach a 58mm / 43mm stepping ring, which was superglued over the filed diameter I had created. This was done so my camcorder complete with 43mm filter thread could then be screwed onto the modified lens. The lens attached to the camcorder then slides into the 'camera adapter' and is then locked in position using the three screws.
In the past I have used various lenses and I have used the 'Eagleeye lens' many times and I recommend it. I understand that you are trying to buy one and I hope you are successful - you will also need the special adapter,for your scope, that fits the 'Eagleeye lens', these are also available from 'eagleeye optics'? To adapt your camcorder to the lens, you will also need 'stepping rings' or a 'digiscoping sleeve' best purchased from 'SRB-GRITURN'.
If you have any further questions please let me know.
Regards Phil

Philip,

How good are the quality of video grabs with this model of Camcorder?

Cheers,

Bill.

Bill,
The videograbs are quite good - 3 No. video grabs of the Bittern.
Cheers Phil

Attachments

• Bittern1.jpg
    Bittern1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 137
  • bittern3.jpg
    bittern3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 125
  • bittern4.jpg
    bittern4.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 178
Philip,

Thanks for reply. I am impressed with those video grabs. Are the grabs 2.1 megapixel straight off the camcorder?

Cheers,

Bill.

Philip,

Thanks for reply. I am impressed with those video grabs. Are the grabs 2.1 megapixel straight off the camcorder?

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi Bill,
I must admit the 'Videograbs' have been edited using Photoshop elements 8.
The attached images are taken straight from the camcorder @ 2.1 megapixel,
for comparison.
Regards Phil

Attachments

• bitten1.jpg
    bitten1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 124
  • bitten2.jpg
    bitten2.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 128
  • bitten3.jpg
    bitten3.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back