• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planting for wildlife (1 Viewer)

Nature__lover

I want to plant some flowers/small plants that are perennial and beneficial to insects (therefore beneficial to birds)
what species are best and
when do I plant flowers/plants that grow in summer?

I want to plant some flowers/small plants that are perennial and beneficial to insects (therefore beneficial to birds)

The answer to this is as long as the preverbial piece of string! If you're a starter with gardening for wildlife, you can't really go wrong with loads of herbs allowed to run to flower and seed in planters/tubs or in the ground if you have good enough ground.

I have sage, which is absolutely loved by bumble bees, rosemary, thyme, marjoram (honey bees and all kinds of insects love that, it's always covered) coriander (replanted through the summer), nasturtiums and mint. You can buy pots of rooted herbs in the supermarket for around £1.00 or so and these make great summer flowering plants when you pot them up in a bigger pot and leave them outside.

Some you have to replace each year and some will establish and thrive on their own. When you buy them depends on their own season but with most herbs you can plant them out when the frosts are over (mid May is my usual bet, but I sometimes risk it before then).

I would also consider a buddliea, they grow into quite large bushes but you cut them down annually. They are superb for butterflies, moths and bees. Growing sunflowers (multiheaded type is good) is usually rewarding as well - insects in summer and birds feed on the seed heads in winter.

There are tons of other native shrubs and trees that you could consider if you are looking for something permanent, but I've typed enough for one post!
:t:

P.S. I forgot to mention that nasturtiums usually attract white butterflies to lay eggs and produce lots of juicy caterpillars for the birds! Your nasturtiums end up a bit tatty but it's benefit all round :)

Last edited:
thanks ever so much for the comment!
sorry my questions where on a very wide subject!
As for herbs, I only have a small rosemary bush, so must plant some other types, like you have suggested.
I love the idea of Buddliea , but don't know whether I've got enough room for it!

I'm not sure if birds do eat white butterfly caterpillars, but something certainly does. I grow mine in a sort of rockery area with a lot of ivy and some wild bramble, which is a great place for spiders (I see birds hunting them regularly) - maybe the spiders feast on the caterpillars!

I planted lots of lavender around the garden and it has attracted lots of bees, butterflies and other insects. The biggest attraction in the garden is a holly tree, I found a seeding about 5 years ago and now all the birds love it. Its the first place they go when disturbed. Another popular plant is the cotoneaster full of red berries

i'm a great believer of log piles and native shrubs such as hazel, blackthorn, willows etc. native willowherb is good for elephant hawkmoths, i once notice petunias, getting onto garden plants now, were attracting vast numbers of humming-bird hawkmoths. this really is a massive subject that i could write a book about.

i'm a great believer of log piles and native shrubs such as hazel, blackthorn, willows etc. native willowherb is good for elephant hawkmoths, i once notice petunias, getting onto garden plants now, were attracting vast numbers of humming-bird hawkmoths. this really is a massive subject that i could write a book about.

I have a big log pile in my garden and it's nice and damp with fungi growing on it. birds often pick it over for insects. frogs hibernate in it.

I agree with planting native plants too- the birds and wildlife in the UK will benefit from UK plants, and insects will prefer them too. I'm thinking of getting a few packets of 'native wildflower seeds' and and some native shrubs and plants to bulk everything out and give birds more cover.

I think I'm going to plant some holly - birds seem to love it and if I plant it beneath my feeders it will keep my cat from sitting underneath the feeder!

Some great ideas for wildlfe gardens here. Buddleia is a must if you want bees and butterflies. Native plantsmen/women can scoff but I think its a must for any wildlife minded gardner. They are easy to grow and grow fast [some do seed themselves about a bit so beware]. They can be planted anywhere so long as the ground is not saturated. They are hardy and will take alot of punishment from the elements. I find it a good idea to cut them back every two to three years usually towards the end of March. This will enhance new healthy growth. Don't be afraid, really cut them back not just take a few top shoots off. Batter them! They love it, honest.
Also consider mint. Invasive yes if not adequately contained, but a wonder plant for bees, flies and hoverflies. Also consider evening primrose and pot marigolds. They are free seeders but great for insects.
Enjoy the garden and the wildlife.

Si.

I have a big log pile in my garden and it's nice and damp with fungi growing on it. birds often pick it over for insects. frogs hibernate in it.

I agree with planting native plants too- the birds and wildlife in the UK will benefit from UK plants, and insects will prefer them too. I'm thinking of getting a few packets of 'native wildflower seeds' and and some native shrubs and plants to bulk everything out and give birds more cover.

I think I'm going to plant some holly - birds seem to love it and if I plant it beneath my feeders it will keep my cat from sitting underneath the feeder!

hi again,

where i lived in bedfordshire i had a wildlife garden an a half; it was so wild even the dog wouldn't go down there. unfortunately i had to leave it. the garden i have now is just a shadow of what i had there, but i am gradually planting it up; i have some young blackthorn, gorse and hazel, all locally acquired seeds and plants. i get marsh tits on the feeder, they were very rare until just a few years ago but now i'm seeing them every day. i feed the carrion crows nearly every day too; they're great characters. i've also got moles the lawn, not everyone's idea i don't suppose but i like them.

We have a Hebe shrub in the garden. It is evergreen and provides brilliant cover for small birds and has purple flowers which are popular with bees, butterflies and other insects. They can be very large if you get the wrong variety, though. On a much smaller scale, Sedum is popular with butterflies.

Ron

I planted a fennel which gets covered in hover fly's and other insects in summer , then just cut it back late summer, ready for next year brill plant. Another good plant i have planted as been a Penstemon which flowers all through summer and the bees love it, same again just cut it back late summer, another favorite is honey suckle bees love the flowers in summer and the bullfinches love the berry's in winter .

Last year we were watching the sparrows in our neighbour garden when they were spooked but they all flew into our holly tree. There must have been 50 and you could not see any. I keep getting plantlets coming up and if replanted in a better place can do well.

Pulmunaria (Lungwort) is great for early flowers for early bees.

Comfrey is also great for bees & moths.

Marjoram / Origano great for almost any necter loving insect.

Pyrocathus is a good small and attractive shrub; lots of flowers in the spring, berries in the autumn and all year cover being evergreen. I've had Redwings on the berries and Blackbirds nest in mine.

thanks so much everyone for your replies. jotting them down and will be visiting a garden centre this spring.

I'm very interested in planting some wildflower seeds in the beds. anyone planted cornflowers or poppies before?

Both poppy and cornflower are annuals.

You'll probably get a good show in the first year, but they tend to fade away in future years unless you re-sow each year.

I have the yellow welsh poppy which self seeds and sprouts up all over the place. I had the stunning red poppy but the bad winter last year killed it off. Cornflowers are more the type to toss the seeds and they come up the same year. You will be stuck for choice but lavender attracts most insect life.

Attachments

• butterflys 001.JPG
    butterflys 001.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 194
  • butterflys 013.JPG
    butterflys 013.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 208
I know they're annuals but was hoping they'd self seed like in the wild.
I want a wild cottage-feel garden :)

nice photos ann, the butterflies love the lavender don't they!? It's a favourite of mine , with it's divine smell, so may have to plant some...

Yes, they will self seed, but you will need to dig the ground over as they both need the soil to be disturbed to germinate.

thanks so much everyone for your replies. jotting them down and will be visiting a garden centre this spring.

I'm very interested in planting some wildflower seeds in the beds. anyone planted cornflowers or poppies before?

I love field poppies,they are brilliant for insects, as are corncockle as well - also an annual. Hoverflies love them. I've planted a small butterfly border, mostly with perennials, but scatter annuals amongst them each year. By removing the seed pods through the summer, then leaving the last few to set seed, you can encourage them to flower for ages. Hope yours go well this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back