• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideas on these micros (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
In each case these are down to one of two (or three) species. Anyone care to pick one for any of them and say why please?

1. Hedya nubiferana/pruniana (Marbled Orchard/Plum Tortrix)
2. Oegoconia quadripuncta/deauratella
3. Epiblema trimaculana/rosaecolana/roborana

Thanks

Attachments

• hedya_25jun_04_800.jpg
    hedya_25jun_04_800.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 105
  • oegoconia_25jun_04_800.jpg
    oegoconia_25jun_04_800.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 113
  • epiblema_25jun_04_800.jpg
    epiblema_25jun_04_800.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 114
brianhstone said:
In each case these are down to one of two (or three) species. Anyone care to pick one for any of them and say why please?

1. Hedya nubiferana/pruniana (Marbled Orchard/Plum Tortrix)
2. Oegoconia quadripuncta/deauratella
3. Epiblema trimaculana/rosaecolana/roborana

Thanks
I'd Plum! for pruniana

Not looking at other 2. Mike mght have a go.

OK. If those are too hard what about this one? Out at lunchtime today and it landed on my car so I shot it! Its about 7mm long.

Attachments

• micro_fm_29jun04_640.jpg
    micro_fm_29jun04_640.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 106
brianhstone said:
OK. If those are too hard what about this one? Out at lunchtime today and it landed on my car so I shot it! Its about 7mm long.
Remarkable condition for one thats been shot! ;)

Try Cochylis Atricapitana.

If there is white on or about head then its one of the others ( I think I'm right about that. No time to look up)

Angus T said:
I'd Plum! for pruniana

Not looking at other 2. Mike mght have a go.

Well, as you've passed the baton.....

FWIW (not much):
1. is pruniana (Plum Fruit-tree Tortrix, or something equally silly, given that it mainly feeds on blackthorn!)
2. Yep, it's an Oegoconia sp. Gen.det. job to get any further - can't be adequately separated on external characteristics (this was treated as one species until about 30 years ago)
3. Yep again. It's one of those three. Need more shots of the 'top' of the moth, and Bradley's Torticidae in front of me, to go any further.

Agree with atricapitana.

MikeWall said:
Well, as you've passed the baton.....

FWIW (not much):
1. is pruniana (Plum Fruit-tree Tortrix, or something equally silly, given that it mainly feeds on blackthorn!)
2. Yep, it's an Oegoconia sp. Gen.det. job to get any further - can't be adequately separated on external characteristics (this was treated as one species until about 30 years ago)
3. Yep again. It's one of those three. Need more shots of the 'top' of the moth, and Bradley's Torticidae in front of me, to go any further.

Agree with atricapitana.

Thanks for looking at these Mike. I am glad you both went for pruniana as that was what I thought but it got a vote for nubiferana on UKmoths.

I have kept the Oegoconia. There are few records of either species here.

I thought the third one was trimaculana based on the extent of brown markings near the apex and the two small black "fingers" near the middle of the forewing but I am working from photographed examples as I have no reference for tortrices.

Unfortunately I have another batch from recent sessions but I am trying to work through most of them myself first.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back