• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Luxor info (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

Having been to Sharm last March for my first trip to Egypt, I've been contemplating going back to Sharm this autumn (October) to try to pick up some of the species I was too early for in the spring.

However, reading some of the replies to Reader's thread asking for information has piqued my interest in Luxor.

I'm not after just seeing the birds, but I'm still wanting a good trip list, I want photos too, so close views are needed wherever possible. For this reason I'm inclined not to go for a Nile cruise because I can think of few things more frustrating than seeing some great birds at a distance from a boat that is passing by in the middle of the river with no hope of getting close. Approaches on foot would be my plan.

I'd be prepared to pass up on some ticks to get good shots of other ticks, if that makes sense.

For that reason I'm thinking of maybe a fixed package holiday for my wife and me at Luxor.

I'm almost totally ignorant about the place other than knowing the Valley of the Kings side of it, so if anyone can give me a few tips and an idea of the pros and cons regarding birding there in October I'd be grateful.

PS. If anyone reading this knows me, don't tell my wife just yet. ;)

If you do decide on Luxor I can highly recommend the Sofitel hotel in Karnak. It is very comfortable with beautiful gardens sloping down to the Nile. You can spend time on the sunbeds here watching the boats up and down the river.

There's lots of information on the Vacation threads here. Holiday reports - Egypt has lots of good ideas. We've been to Luxor 3 times and combined temples/tombs with birding.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra.

I'd done a search for Luxor on the Vacation Reports board and seen the old messages, which were quite useful, but I was hoping for a little more.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back