• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sites for Particular Birds (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

If you've read the "Help Completing UK List" thread in the Information wanted forum, this is basically an extension for that so you can skip the next paragraph. If you haven't, then I'll quickly run over it.

Basically I've set myself a project to try and photograph every bird species in the UK, mainly extending to residents, migrants and passage migrants, rather than vagrants. I'm doing this using a superzoom point and click rather than an SLR for financial reasons. As of this post my total stands at 155 which can be seen at my blog in the signiture of this post.

Anyway, I had a trip to Elmley Marshes the other week and I was very impressed and I'd certainly like to return. I only however ended up getting three of my target species for the day which was a few less than I'd hoped for.

Basically it boils down to, I want to try and do another trip to Kent as a lot of stuff I need lives there in the Winter, and I was hoping for advice on a good site to choose to maximise the number of new species.

The target species fall into 3 main groups - waders, geese and birds of prey.

The waders which seen to be present in the county as far as I can work out are:
Bar-tailed Godwit, Sanderling, Spotted Redshank, Purple Sandpiper, (Little Stint?)

Geese:
Brent, White-fronted, Pink-footed, Bean Goose

Birds of Prey:
Hen Harrier, Merlin, Short Earred Owl, Rough Legged Buzzard

Also good would be any of - snow bunting, velvet scoters, any skuas or divers, red-necked or slavonian grebes or either of the yellow beaked swans, but I suspect most of those would be incidental.

The tricky part now is that I can't drive, have a limited budget and can only really do this as a daytrip from London by train. So basically, I'd like to choose one spot which has the best chance of getting a good number of these (for preference, somewhere that I could basically guarantee 4 or 5 of them would be great) and preferably somewhere I could get to easily from a station along the London-Faversham line which calls at Sittingbourne, Rainham, Gillingham, Chatham, Rochester, Strood and Gravesend, either by a walk of up to a couple of miles, or like in the Elmlet case, some other train (or possibly bus, but I'm always slightly wary of busses I'm not familiar as I wouldn't know where to get off)

I thought the best bet was to ask people familiar with the area

Any suggestions would be really appreciated! Sorry for rambling.

Thank

If you've read the "Help Completing UK List" thread in the Information wanted forum, this is basically an extension for that so you can skip the next paragraph. If you haven't, then I'll quickly run over it.

Basically I've set myself a project to try and photograph every bird species in the UK, mainly extending to residents, migrants and passage migrants, rather than vagrants. I'm doing this using a superzoom point and click rather than an SLR for financial reasons. As of this post my total stands at 155 which can be seen at my blog in the signiture of this post.

Anyway, I had a trip to Elmley Marshes the other week and I was very impressed and I'd certainly like to return. I only however ended up getting three of my target species for the day which was a few less than I'd hoped for.

Basically it boils down to, I want to try and do another trip to Kent as a lot of stuff I need lives there in the Winter, and I was hoping for advice on a good site to choose to maximise the number of new species.

The target species fall into 3 main groups - waders, geese and birds of prey.

The waders which seen to be present in the county as far as I can work out are:
Bar-tailed Godwit, Sanderling, Spotted Redshank, Purple Sandpiper, (Little Stint?)

Geese:
Brent, White-fronted, Pink-footed, Bean Goose

Birds of Prey:
Hen Harrier, Merlin, Short Earred Owl, Rough Legged Buzzard

Also good would be any of - snow bunting, velvet scoters, any skuas or divers, red-necked or slavonian grebes or either of the yellow beaked swans, but I suspect most of those would be incidental.

The tricky part now is that I can't drive, have a limited budget and can only really do this as a daytrip from London by train. So basically, I'd like to choose one spot which has the best chance of getting a good number of these (for preference, somewhere that I could basically guarantee 4 or 5 of them would be great) and preferably somewhere I could get to easily from a station along the London-Faversham line which calls at Sittingbourne, Rainham, Gillingham, Chatham, Rochester, Strood and Gravesend, either by a walk of up to a couple of miles, or like in the Elmlet case, some other train (or possibly bus, but I'm always slightly wary of busses I'm not familiar as I wouldn't know where to get off)

I thought the best bet was to ask people familiar with the area

Any suggestions would be really appreciated! Sorry for rambling.

Thank

As an ex- one of them myself, I know Kent birders can be a bit slow at responding here. Also, local gen is needed for a lot of the species listed and Kent birders are heavily tied into their local birdline for the most up-to-date stuff.

Working on the stations you mention:

Rainham station- turn left (north) from the station and walk down to the Lower Rainham Road (BTW, I love the website http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm which allows you to have a street map scrolling next to google earth for seeing the lie of the land, take a look if you don't know it) from where there are several places to access the seawall at Riverside Country Park. Brent Goose and Black-tailed Godwit easy here. PM me if you decide to go for this one, I can give you a few more details.

Chatham or Gillingham station- moderate walk to St Mary's Island, where there's an overwintering Great Northern Diver, don't think it gives great photo opps though. Check the KOS webiste for up-to-date news on it, seems popular http://www.kentos.org.uk/recentsigntings/recentsightings.htm

Between Gravesend and Strood is Higham Station- not all trains stop here, but Cliffe pools are just about reachable. Some of the spp. you mention turn up regularly, again, check the recent sightings.

For Purple Sand and Sanderling, you could always stay on the train to Margate, there are some cracking roost sites within a very short walk. The Thanet birders are by far and away the most friendly and helpful in Kent and several are into photography in a big way, so you might try making contact via http://www.planetthanet.org/ or http://dylanofdumpton.blogspot.com/ - they're certainly the most likely to be willing to meet up with you on the day you come down and help get you to the roosts and possibly a few sites close by Thanet that might get you your four plus spp. (at, say, Grove ferry/Stodmarsh or Sandwich Bay).

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the help, sorry I didn't see this reply earlier!

From the looks of it, the problem seems to be that there are plenty of things about, but not necessarily in the same place/nearby.

I'd had a bit of a look about in the mean time, and I came up with one possible plan - get the train from Faversham to Swalecliff, and then go to the nearby area to look for Sanderling and Snow Bunting, with the possibility of Brent Goose, Red Breasted Merganser, Red Throated Diver and Bar Tailed Godwit amounst other things.

From there, walk along to Reculver along the seafront, possibly seeing stuff along the way if I'm lucky, and then at Reculver getting a second chance at Brent, Snow Bunting, plus from the looks of it, the possibility of Merlin, Shorelark and Hooded Crow at the moment (and again, some other bits and bobs I need turning up).

Does that sound doable?

Does that sound doable?

Not for someone as unfit as me! ;) Seriously, should be doable, but you'll want to make sure you suss tides- to be able to spend most of your time along the shore within 3/4 hours of the high tide would probably give you the best shot- wish you good luck with it!

Alex, just a tip National Express are running cheap coaches at the moment, I have one booked in March from Victoria to Margate £29 for 2 people return trip (7th to 10th). Might be an alternative as the trains are bloody expensive in the south east!! Put it this way Milton Keynes to Margate £120 (roughly for 2 people) Milton Keynes to Eninburgh £140 (roughly) MK to london 2 people for £10!! South East trains are way over priced!!

I do have the fortunate lifesaver of my 18-25 railcard for now, but yeah it is expensive. If I ever actually get together enough money to actually stay somewhere I'd definitly do it by coach but for a daytrip (particularly in Winter) I think it'd take too long.

Thanks for the advice on the tides btw - out of my two options, Tuesday looks like its got the best tides for when I'm likely to get there, but the weather is worse looking, but I can keep an eye on that to see if the forcast changes.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back