• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sw Ed80 (1 Viewer)

Remirath

Well, finally mine is on his way to my home. Expected to arrive on friday. If its OK I´ll have all the saturday to test it. I´ll try to get up early to take a look on a near swamp. More info to come...

Thanks to all for your help!

Well, finally mine is on his way to my home. Expected to arrive on friday. If its OK I´ll have all the saturday to test it. I´ll try to get up early to take a look on a near swamp. More info to come...

Thanks to all for your help!

Congratulation on your decision and purchase. Certainly waiting for your results. Just bear in mind that it's a very different learning curve.

Arrived this midday. I cant wait to try it and this afternoon I went to a near swamp. Very happy with results instead the hard backlight conditions due to the sunset... more to come!!

Ardea Cinerea

Attachments

• _DSC6034.jpg
    _DSC6034.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 230
Yes, great shot for someone who has only just got the scope. Way better than my first , second, third ...etc ;)

Three more shots from this weekend. Early in the evening, with better light possition. Waiting to try it in morning light.

1. Phalacrocorax carbo
2. Ardea Cinera
3. Anas Platyrhynchos

Attachments

• 5382265565_6c1f9f9e2b_o.jpg
    5382265565_6c1f9f9e2b_o.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 5382867064_1447216052_o.jpg
    5382867064_1447216052_o.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 5382867396_0f1348969f_o.jpg
    5382867396_0f1348969f_o.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 123
Hi to all,

A few questions more. I was shooting as much as possible, trying to get better shots. Im totally impresed with the quality of the pictures when I get the right focus. So now Im thinking on improve the scope with a micro focuser:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...on-for-retrofitment-of-Crayford-focusers.html

What do you think about this? Is possible to get smooth focus or is better save the money and replace the complete focuser?

Also take a look at TRings with chip included. If Im not wrong this is the correct model for nikon...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360264113694&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Thank you to all!

No show - No photo... so here are the tests ;) hope you enjoy them!

Egretta Garzetta
5404044797_56c35b2bd5_o.jpg

Actitis Hypoleucos
5404648278_00f5efffd7_o.jpg

Haematopus Ostralegus
5409068538_8810d624ee_o.jpg

Parus Major
5428968059_c3cfe872d8_o.jpg

Erithacus Rubecula
5428968261_a8d75e0199_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hi to all,

A few questions more. I was shooting as much as possible, trying to get better shots. Im totally impresed with the quality of the pictures when I get the right focus. So now Im thinking on improve the scope with a micro focuser:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...on-for-retrofitment-of-Crayford-focusers.html

What do you think about this? Is possible to get smooth focus or is better save the money and replace the complete focuser?

Also take a look at TRings with chip included. If Im not wrong this is the correct model for nikon...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360264113694&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Thank you to all!

I would say that focuser would work ok. I still use the standard one and still like it, never felt the need to change. You could stick a plate to one of the wheels on the ED80 and make the diameter of it about twice the size of the standard wheel. Adding a bigger wheel gives micro adjustment, similar to what the dual focusers do. It's a simple thing to try and see if it improves your images.

If your camera is listed in that ebay sale then that will be the one you need.

Paul.

I’d skip the dual speed focuser IMHO.
I changed the focuser on my ED80 for a dual speed focuser, but that’s only because the dual speed was included, I really only wanted the more solid built and the ability to rotate the camera between landscape and portrait.
I actually removed the dual focus button from the focuser (and on the other two scopes I have too). I just dislike the feel of the dual focus and it weights at least 200gms more so I just took it off. That said you may like the feel, but I think it hurted my focusing ability more than it helped.

That T-ring on the link will work fine on your camera.

Thanks thronlv

I´d finished with the camo of my lens. Tapes arrived today from USA and Im impressed with the final result. No sticky side, it sticks by itself. 1/4 of tape over the first turn and its OK. On the first I gave one complete turn to fix it in possition.

Attachments

• DSCN4400.JPG
    DSCN4400.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN4401.JPG
    DSCN4401.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 107
Just a word of warning re the camo tape. I bought some in USA and applied it to my scope. Been on there about 3 years, and when I decided to remove it (to sell scope) it left a hard residue, which nothing seems to remove, This was despite the wrapping saying it "leaves no residue"

Den

Just a word of warning re the camo tape. I bought some in USA and applied it to my scope. Been on there about 3 years, and when I decided to remove it (to sell scope) it left a hard residue, which nothing seems to remove, This was despite the wrapping saying it "leaves no residue"

Den

A few type of multi purpose cleaners will do the job but not sure about the effect of the cleaner on the paint work though. Or you can use WD40 to sort of soak wet for a while to soften the gum before removing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back