• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adapters for the Zeiss Zoom (1 Viewer)

galt_57

Dave - Zeiss-85, CP990
As I wait for the scope to arrive I'm now wondering about a camera adapter for my CP990. I'm inclined to go buy a $300 mini-lathe and try to design and build my own adapter rather than spending $150 on a commercial adapter -- which I might or might not like. The small amount of eye-relief might be the major battle.

The Zeiss quick camera adapter looks like an interesting type, although I don't like the fact that it prevents the camera from swivelling;

http://www.zeiss.com/C1256BCF0020BE5F/Contents-Frame/A1B366B23C18AC7C85256BDE006A7A6B

Any sage advice?

Thanks,

Dave

A simple adapter example:
http://www.jayandwanda.com/yg_db/yifat/

The LCE adapter works a treat. I think the eye relief is fine - no problems for me anyway. I, too, am thinking of the "swing" type Zeiss adapter after several positive comments have been posted here.

galt_57 said:
As I wait for the scope to arrive I'm now wondering about a camera adapter for my CP990. I'm inclined to go buy a $300 mini-lathe and try to design and build my own adapter rather than spending $150 on a commercial adapter -- which I might or might not like.
When I wanted an adaptor (albeit for a Fuji camera/Opticron 'scope combination) I thought about buying a mini-lathe, but instead I designed my own adaptor and had it made by a local professional machinist at a quite reasonable price. Just another idea to ponder?

Roger

Picture of adaptor with DTL eye-piece:-

Attachments

• DSCF0305a.jpg
    DSCF0305a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
scampo said:
The LCE adapter works a treat. I think the eye relief is fine - no problems for me anyway. I, too, am thinking of the "swing" type Zeiss adapter after several positive comments have been posted here.

After playing with it a bit this afternoon with my CP990 I don't think I will be satisfied unless I completely minimize the eyepiece distance. That rules out threaded adapters. Something along the lines of the Yifat Lascar adapter may be the way to go;

http://www.jayandwanda.com/yg_db/yifat/

Now whether this could be adapted to swing out of the way I don't know. It could certainly be modified somewhat. Make the cap into not a cap but simply a disc, so it is just a centering device within the eyecup, and thin enough to allow the camera to touch the eyepiece. Have three rods, two rods on top and one on the bottom. Then have the plate on the back be attached to a support arm like the Ziess adapter. The right half of the camera would still be free to swivel. I am dismayed by the fact that my justification for buying a lathe seems to be slipping away.

How about the old DIY adapter using PVC and a step ring? After playing with the swing-arm adapters, I went to the slipover tube type and like it a lot better. I have the dimensions written down someplace for my Zeiss adapter...

galt_57 said:
I am dismayed by the fact that my justification for buying a lathe seems to be slipping away.
You could come up with a nice design and make a bit of money for yourself... may pay for the lathe?

I use a cp990+Zeiss and my sleeve type adapters get the lens within a few mm, any closer and there's no real benefit. On my Swarovski AT80HD, the L.C.E adapter gets the coolpix lens almost touching the e.p. glass.

GR Triever said:
[...] After playing with the swing-arm adapters, I went to the slipover tube type and like it a lot better. [...]

It seems like a tossup. Pull the camera off or swing it aside... I guess there are some pros and cons to each.

Andy Bright said:
[...] I use a cp990+Zeiss and my sleeve type adapters get the lens within a few mm, any closer and there's no real benefit. On my Swarovski AT80HD, the L.C.E adapter gets the coolpix lens almost touching the e.p. glass.

I have no idea what the benefit is per mm but I'll go for zero just to be sure. Since the Zeiss eyepiece glass appears to be flat and a bit recessed the limiting factor is clearly the metal edge of the Coolpix lens. The glass appears to be ~24.5mm in diameter while the Coolpix is ~27mm.

[Later...]

Seems like every day I have at least one moment of dismay when I believe I have scratched the eyepiece. Not yet. Not sure now if the inside-the-eyecup idea is feasible or worth the trouble. Certainly the diameter of a simple inside-the-eyepiece disc would be too small to accept mounting screws that could pass around a CP990. The eyepiece inside the eyecup is just shy of 45mm in diameter. The rubber part of the eyecup can be eased off to gain about 1.5mm of approach.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back