• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Un-Kookaburra-like noise (1 Viewer)

Narelle

Hi, a Kookaburra in the tree in my front yard has been making a sqawking noise for 3 days and nights off and on.. It's not the normal Kookaburra laugh.. Any thoughts as to why this is? Maybe to deter other birds? I don't know much about them - It appears to be a full-grown bird. I'm not sure if there is a nest, or even if it's nesting time. I'm in Sydney.

Hi, a Kookaburra in the tree in my front yard has been making a sqawking noise for 3 days and nights off and on.. It's not the normal Kookaburra laugh.. Any thoughts as to why this is? Maybe to deter other birds? I don't know much about them - It appears to be a full-grown bird. I'm not sure if there is a nest, or even if it's nesting time. I'm in Sydney.

Kookaburras make quite a variety of noises. Depending upon where you live within its breeding distribution, the nesting 'season' can vary in length or in timing. Perhaps the squawking noise is a kind of alarm call. Do you have cats resident nearby? Many bird species will continue to sound off even when a cat is snoozing in the open!

I expect an experienced Oz birder cou;d give you a fuller explanation: if you wanted to, you could use the 'Search Forums' facility on Bird Forum to track down somebody local!
MJB

I have heard a group near Cranebrook (west Sydney) making similar calls for weeks but I am baffled as well since they are not currently nesting here, nor were any dangers lurking around at the time. It's odd, but I guess normal. Just enjoy it. :)

If you listen to the Boca calls (of which you haven't?) The second one sounds exactly like your description, it says that that's a 1 week independent Juvenile ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back