• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autosafe (1 Viewer)

Leif

Does anyone know any reasonably priced secure boxes suitable for storing a scope and binoculars while in the car boot? It would need to have a means of attaching it to the car frame to prevent the theif walking away with the entire box and contents.

Where I work we use autosafes to protect expensive mobile phones (worth ~£50,000) while testing overnight. These boxes have holes in the side so that they can be attached to a desk with a strong cable. Problem is, they cost £200 each. Clearly these would be ideal for storing a scope, as the box can be locked and secured to the car frame. But the price is a bit much for what is no more than a steel box.

Grousemore said:
Unfortunately,I think you'll find insurance is the cheaper option.

Many years ago I considered insurance for camera equipment. I worked out that it was not worth it given the amount payed each year and the likely value of gear lost to theft.

Leif - you might try a metal tool box. They lock and drilling holes in the bottom or side should not be a problem.

Lee

leetar said:
Leif - you might try a metal tool box. They lock and drilling holes in the bottom or side should not be a problem.

Lee

Lee. Thanks. That's a good idea. I'll see if B&Q have one. Leif

leetar said:
Lee

I like that idea. I always use ugly cases for my gear. Expensive looking cases suggest expensive contents.

Also consider attaching the case deep in the trunk (oh sorry - the "boot") or ins an awkward manner that would make it difficult for them to get good leverage to pry it open.

Jay Turberville said:
I like that idea. I always use ugly cases for my gear. Expensive looking cases suggest expensive contents.

Also consider attaching the case deep in the trunk (oh sorry - the "boot") or ins an awkward manner that would make it difficult for them to get good leverage to pry it open.

That's a good idea. The last time my car was broken into the scumbag used a chisel and hammer to destroy the lock.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back