• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Short Visit to Japan mid-March (1 Viewer)

portnoy58

My dear fellow birders I am hoping to make a short trip to Japan mid-March and will be largely based in and around Tokyo. I am grateful for existing threads and information. Please let me pick your brains! Can I expect to see Cranes mid-March ? If yes are there any alternatives to seeing them other than travelling to Hokkaido? And can the sites in Hokkaido be reached without a car? If so can you give me details please. Many thanks.

My dear fellow birders I am hoping to make a short trip to Japan mid-March and will be largely based in and around Tokyo. I am grateful for existing threads and information. Please let me pick your brains! Can I expect to see Cranes mid-March ? If yes are there any alternatives to seeing them other than travelling to Hokkaido? And can the sites in Hokkaido be reached without a car? If so can you give me details please. Many thanks.

Hopefully others with fresher or more local info will let you know- but certainly if you get as far as Kushiro, then you can get to R-c Cranes by bus (I don't recall if it stops at Kushiro airport) or by taxi. Its not more than an hour even at Japanese driving speeds, less from Kushiro aiport.

Actually- here's a quick link, accuracy unvouched
http://www.sizenken.biodic.go.jp/pc/live_en/camera/04/shisetsu/04.htm

Do you mean the wintering flocks of Hooded/White Naped cranes in the south or the resident Japanese Cranes in the north?

I suspect you mean the latter, they are present all year although the tame winter flocks may have dispersed to their breeding areas by mid March depending on the severity of the winter (though I have to say it's been pretty severe so far!). There is a famous place at Akan which is very handy for Kushiro airport, you can get a bus from there quite easily (plus there is a hotel right next to the Crane sanctuary). Like I say there may not be so many Cranes left, I went in early March a couple of years ago and there were still plenty left.

For the other places in Hokkaido, Nemuro and Rausu, a car is better but they are possible to visit by bus. Google is your friend here.

Stu am now up to speed with the resident Hokkaido. Can you tell me more about the Hooded/Whited Naped to the South? What sort of temperature might we expect in Nemuro mid-March? And thx Marmot I have had a look at Stu's webpage.

Stu am now up to speed with the resident Hokkaido. Can you tell me more about the Hooded/Whited Naped to the South? What sort of temperature might we expect in Nemuro mid-March? And thx Marmot I have had a look at Stu's webpage.

I don't know about the south really, I've never been there. I suspect the cranes may already have left by mid March but I'm not 100% sure.

It'll still be freezing cold in Nemuro mid March. Most of the winter stuff should still be about including most of the eagles.

Can you tell me more about the Hooded/Whited Naped to the South?

Just on that one, an enquiry on Kantori might be your best bet for some proper information. But the Hooded/White- naped cranes at Izumi are certainly getting revved up for migration late Feb/early March, circling up high and heading off on test flights.

Once more thanks for the latest information guys. What are we looking at in Nemura for temperature - sub-zero? If so how much?! Presumably big wind chill factor. I ask because we are coming in from Thailand and haven't been in sub-zero weather for a few years!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back