• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding and accommodation in the Scillies April? (1 Viewer)

gindog

United Kingdom
I am looking to go to the Scillies in March/April, do not know which one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to stay and is this a good time for birding?

cheers

obm

As a Least Sandpiper has now turned up along with a further 5 additional Scillies ticks there for me, I usually only manage one or two at best a year, I am scampering off down there earlier than planned and will be there from Friday for just over 2 weeks.

This year so far the islands have pretty much been the place to be despite several very good birds turning up elsewhere around the country. In the past 3-4 weeks there has been: Northern Waterthrush, Black-and-white Warbler, Baltimore Oriole, 1+ Red-eyed Vireo, 1+ Solitary Sandpiper (assuming the bird y'day and today is not the bird from over a week ago), Lesser Yellowlegs, Baird's Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, loads of Buff-breasted Sandpipers, American Golden Plover, a possible Wilson's Snipe, Spotted Sandpiper, 1+ Pallid Harriers, Blue-winged Teal, Black Kite, multiple Woodchat Shrikes, 2+ Aquatic Warblerm Subalpine Warbler, Honey Buzzard plus some excellent pelagic seabirding the list goes on...really looking forward to the next couple of weeks birding and a continued plethora of rare's turning up with some of the current crop lingering on.

Bring it on..

See you all there

Its looking good. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the long drive down over night tomorrow! Hope the Waterthrush hangs on AND shows well, everyone new on on Saturday will be trying for it I'm sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back