• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro lens help needed. (1 Viewer)

birdermoose

birder
I am a wildlife photographer who is going to buy a macro lens. I am currently using a tamron 70-300mm and the macro isn't great but I have got some good results (see flickr photos) The macro photography I am interested in is butterfly's, dragonfly's, insects, fungi and flowers and too a lesser extent plants. I want to get more sharper close up shots than I have with my tamron which is what all my flickr photos were taken with.
My dad also wants a lens and would like a good macro lens that doubles up as a portrait lens.
We are currently looking at sigma 105mm, sigma 150mm and canon 100mm usm older version. prepared to pay £250-£300
What are your recommendations?
Thanks

If you're budget limit is £300 then you may really struggle to get a Sigma 150mm second-hand for that, unless it's in 'used' condition. Canon 100m's have come up for sale at around the £300 mark but with the latest price increases that may no longer be the case so realistically the only one within that price range is the 105mm second-hand of course, not new, so then there's finding one for sale. However, Sigma are updating there 150mm and 105mm macro lenses to include image-stabilisation which are set for relaese some time this year so if you hang on a bit then there may be quite a few of people upgrading which could mean quite a few cheap macros coming up for sale. Assuming you don't desperately need one now or in the near future. Something to consider.

BTW out of those three I'd recommend the Canon, supposed to have slightly better AF accuracy than the 150mm and is a lot faster focussing and all internal workings over the 105mm.

Have just bought a second-hand Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di off of ebay . 220GBP - and absolutely amazing sharpness on my Canon 50d. Well worth that money for macro and for portraits!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back