• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwing invasion (1 Viewer)

nigelblake

don't re member
Hi All
Arriving here with the cold weather in the U.K. is a good number of Bohemian Waxwings, these do turn up most years in ones and two's but this last week (since 03 January) has seen a huge number spreading down the East coast and inland, they have been pushed southwards by harsh weather and the need to find food. Luckily for them the regime of planting berry bearing trees in the grounds of new retail parks provides a much needed winter larder. Have you had any at a shopping centre near you?

They can be quite approachable, so next time you visit Tesco's keep an eye on the Rowan trees in the car park, you might just find some of these stunning birds

Attachments

• img_8819.jpg
    img_8819.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 212
Love the shot Nigel! They are stunning,as you say. I shall regard my next shopping trip to Tesco in a different light...........!

In-Bloody-Credible Nigel... these are the most goreous birds around and you certainly captured the essence of that beauty... they love berries and around here we have Russian Olive trees for them

Nigel

I have lost count of the times I have tried to photograph one of these little beautie. What a stunning photo this is.

BTW, I was in Norfolk on Saturday. It was my intention to stay there on Sunday but decided to go home instead. Would you believe it, there was a mini invasion of Waxwings on Sunday, some right where I had been. Oh well, there is still 11 months of the year left I suppose.

John, your majesty, don't worry - I watched the local ones (at Mundesley) on your behalf.

Tony

Great shot Nigel! I'm waiting patiently here for our invasion in the South Staffs/ West Mids region! Still haven't heard of any yet, worst luck!

I have never seen this gorgious bird. What a stunning photo. Do they ever get down to Essex? Failing that I will be at Minsmere this weekend, any chance they will be in that area?

Monkeyman ther was one at Nuneaton golf course, that Warwickshire I believe.
Dave , 1 at Tesco's carpark in Great Dunmow, 3 at PC world carpark at Copdock on A12 near Ipswitch

Stunning it certainly is, Nigel. Absolutely beautiful. Since I'm new here, I spent lots of time in the Photo Gallery today and saw most of your wonderful photo's.

Sorry, Dave, no reports of Waxwings further South than the Copdock ones, but don't give up hope - when I lived in London, I had them twice in my front garden in Surbiton ! Good luck anyway, and enjoy Minsmere.

Tony

Hi all,
These invasions usually get swallowed up before they ever reach Ireland!Most years a handful are seen from Dublin to Antrim,in good(but not "classic" )years numbers may turn up in these areas,but in an invasion year all bets are off!
Due to our(Cork's)position being both to the south and the west of these areas we don't tend to get Waxwings that often,but back in Feb.96 small flocks reached this far.I can still remember finding out about a flock of 7 on some trees near the river just outside Cork city and running straight there.When I arrived there were 2 birders coming back who said they hadn't seen them(in retospect I think they were joking?),but I pressed on and saw them in full view!Stunning birds,so obvious that even a few non-birding passers-by stopped to look at them.Their tameness struck me(as with many northern birds,such as Ivory Gull and Grey Phalarope):eek:bviously they don't encounter people on their breeding grounds.I stayed there until dusk and returned the following day(they were still there)
I must stress that this was before I was a twitcher as such(went for the odd local bird),and indeed I was still 20 years old at the time,but I won't forget it in a hurry.
Each winter since I hope to see some more,but to date I've had no luck.There was a huge invasion again in 2000,but for some reason they all stayed in the east coast area(loads in Dublin and Belfast),with only 1 reported(belatedly)by a non-birder in Co.Cork.
I'm not hopeful for this winter either;not being pessimistic,just realistic.
To those who do see some this year,enjoy them,they're great birds!!(and more regular in the UK anyway)
Harry

Nigel,
What a stunning shot. I do not know how you manage to get the birds to pose so well for you. You must have the magic touch.
Never seen that bird yet.
I do not think that they venture into Devon, and certainly not to my patch!
Paula

nigelblake said:
There has been some in Porlock in Somerset today Paula (15th)

Now if Coleridge had been watching Waxwings, I could understand him forgetting the rest of Kubla Khan.

Tony o:D

Devonians,
The last two devon bird reports has only one Waxwing. boo hoo, wonder if someone could send one down here by royal mail for us to release?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back