• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hat: bucket or brim, kids' sizes (1 Viewer)

benm

I read several good hat threads on here and I was hoping to get a little more specific advice.

I'm looking for some new hats for this summer. I'm accustomed to wearing a French pith helmet, hand made in Vietnam. It works great -- best hot and sunny weather hat ever. Two problems are it's a bit eccentric in public and I haven't been able to find any good ones to fit my boys (3 and 4).

My wife and boys wear different versions of the Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat (semi soft brim with a soft cape at the back), but the boys don't prefer them too much. In the fall the three of us got some Kangol baseball caps and they greatly prefer those, but the sun protection is insufficient during the summer.

I believe if I can find a matching style of hat, they'll be persuaded to wear what I wear. I looked at Sunday Afternoon, Tilley, OR, Rothco, and so on.

Tilley looks high quality, but it seems as if wearing one might make a person seem to be pretentious. I don't know but the style doesn't seem to suit me. It looks like it would belong better on a man more dashing and adventuresome. I'm more of a nerd.

The smallest kid's T3 would barely fit my 4 year old but not the little one. The KD11 bucket hats would fit both, but they don't have an adult sized bucket.

Sunday Afternoon has buckets, but OR has buckets and a guarantee similar to Tilley's (return or exchange for any reason forever).

Rotcho has the boonie hats that are much less expensive and completely void of any pretense (unless I suppose you wear battle camo head to toe).

How about something like this.

I cannot stand the sun I go red after a short time in the sun even with childrens 30+ factor on and one of the worst places for me was the back of my neck.

I got one similar to this from a UK supplier quite a few years back now and it is ideal and you could even tuck the back up if you wanted on the one I had.
http://www.lifestylestore.com/ls_hats_5179.html

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back