• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

conway.rspb or leighton moss. (1 Viewer)

gary jb

i have a day to myself on wed 14 july04.i can not decided which location to go.(conway or leighton moss).can any one tell me which site could be the best for this time of year.or has anyone got any recomendations for my area(north west).thanks.

gary jb said:
i have a day to myself on wed 14 july04.i can not decided which location to go.(conway or leighton moss).can any one tell me which site could be the best for this time of year.or has anyone got any recomendations for my area(north west).thanks.

My colleagues at Leighton Moss will hate me for saying but I would go for Conwy. Neither reserve is at its best in mid summer for variety of species (a la all coastal wetlands) but Conwy shades it for scenery. Having said that, Leighton Moss has a few different habitats to throw into the mix and it has a good selection of passerines.

Ian Peters said:
but Conwy shades it for scenery.

I totally agree with that. Conwy is gorgeous especially in good weather. A great place to stop a while. Not far away is another wonderful spot, Aber, closer to Bangor. Oak woodlands, mountain stream, high waterfall, plenty of redstarts, pied flys, wood warblers, dippers and a good raptor watchpoint from the car park.

Conwy is likely to be slightly less busy too I'd say, the times I've been there I've seen relatively few people, whereas Leighton seems heaving whatever the day!

I agree with Conway for all the reasons stated. If you started your day early enough, or left it to view later, you could do a few sites on Anglesey as well. Certainly the Fedw Fawr area for Black Guillemot wouldn't be too far away.

i think i will go to conway,and i may take a trip to south stack on anglesey.i have always wanted to visit this site.

Why not call in at Cemlyn if you go to South Stack? The tern colony has been doing very well this year, with around 1,300 pairs of Sandwich Tern, reasonable numbers of Common and Arctic and the odd Roseate dropping in - though I don't know what effect the recent bad weather will have had.

hi rhion.
is cemlyn top centre.east of south stack.i went to a place called puffin island(i think)last year(as you come over the bridge on to angelsey,head east)it was a lovely place.(black point ,penmon, its called.just looked it up in my log.)seen my one and only glaucous gull.

Yes, Cemlyn is about half way along the north coast of Anglesey. Coming along the A55, turn right (eastward) at Valley, keep going as far as Tregele and watch for the Cemlyn sign on your left.

Rhion said:
Yes, Cemlyn is about half way along the north coast of Anglesey.

You can't miss Cemlyn Bay, there is a dirty great big nuclear power station next to it. Anglesey is excellent, so different to my patch. South Stack is a great place to visit.

Try Conway, always a good place. If you havent visited Greenfield Valley country park have a visit there on the way (just before the Queens head .. Greenfield) and have a look at the dippers in the stream. http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/ has better details.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back