• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Celestron 80 ED pics (1 Viewer)

More example pics from the Celestron 80ED at 600mm. This scope was a real bargain at $399 brand new. These were taken with a Nikon D2X. Probably should have dropped the ISO another step to 200 instead of 400. Songbirds are very actively singing and establishing territories now in NE Tennessee. Too bad the air is beginning to warm and will limit the distances at which good photos can be acquired.

Attachments

• song sparrow 3.jpg
    song sparrow 3.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 215
  • song sparrow 4.jpg
    song sparrow 4.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 258
  • song sparrow.jpg
    song sparrow.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Great shots. the 80ed really gives great out of focus blur. Suggestion: nr3 could work with a square crop as well (from the right, of course)

I am very happy with my 80ED. Share some pics taken with 80ED only and no processing. All pics taken with humidity in the 80ish. L-R, Common Sandpiper, Javan Myna & Brown-throated Sunbird.

Attachments

• Common Sandpiper.JPG
    Common Sandpiper.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Myna Javan.JPG
    Myna Javan.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Sunbird Brown Throated 1.jpg
    Sunbird Brown Throated 1.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 196
Nice shots, Alphan. I'm still amazed at the detail you can get even without post-processing from these scopes, especially considering the cost of an equivalent focal length camera lens.

Nice shots, Alphan. I'm still amazed at the detail you can get even without post-processing from these scopes, especially considering the cost of an equivalent focal length camera lens.

Our glasses are the same as those of SW80ED and Orion. What Paul took are are simply amazing compared to what we got. It had been the best investment I ever had in this hobby, thanks to all the nice and helpful peoples here.

Here's another taken a couple of weeks ago using the GSO 2X ED 2" barlow. American Goldfinch in late winter plumage.

Attachments

• goldfinch_07.jpg
    goldfinch_07.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 167
Here's another taken a couple of weeks ago using the GSO 2X ED 2" barlow. American Goldfinch in late winter plumage.

I've been comparing the GSO 2" ED barlow directly with my Sunagor telenegative and Kenko Pro 1.4X TC this week. They are virtually all the same as far as sharpness goes but I find the Sunagor produces a little more contrast in very bright settings than the barlow. I've taken the glass out of the GSO barlow and mounted it in an old macro tube so that it is right up against the camera and this gives around 1.5X mag.

Paul.

Right now I use the GSO screwed into the end of the 2" t-adapter which is better than the end of the tube it comes in. I remember I did have the glass out of the barlow at some point and mounted right next to the camera which did work very well as I recall.

I've been comparing the GSO 2" ED barlow directly with my Sunagor telenegative and Kenko Pro 1.4X TC this week. They are virtually all the same as far as sharpness goes but I find the Sunagor produces a little more contrast in very bright settings than the barlow. I've taken the glass out of the GSO barlow and mounted it in an old macro tube so that it is right up against the camera and this gives around 1.5X mag.

Paul.

The GSO 2" ED aren't that expensive compare with others but if there are similar 1.25" ED, it should be cheaper. I too are more inclined to TN as their housing are thinner and easier to mount in extension tube. At the price we are getting for TN, I would go for the better TN with various magnification.

When the sun gets brighter, can you test the glare or back lighting performance between the TN and ED Barlow? Birds at higher perch needs the extra magnification and less prone to atmospheric distortion (mostly related to humidity) but mostly came with bright back ground.

You just have to love these scopes! This one from this morning in the marsh with a Nikon D40 and Kiron 2X teleconverter.

Attachments

• redwing222.jpg
    redwing222.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 147
Cango,

None of my DSLR's do video, but I have a p & s Canon that I'm going to try to use for some HD video of these birds. Will post a link if successful. They are very loud!

Rick

Cango,

None of my DSLR's do video, but I have a p & s Canon that I'm going to try to use for some HD video of these birds. Will post a link if successful. They are very loud!

Rick

Very well taken. And I think it's time you start considering upgrading your camera body with that video capability.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back