• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spike Island (Widnes) questions (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
Not sure if this is the best place for this question so I will also put it on the 'information' section.

Is Spike Island worth a visit for birds/insects and general interest ? Someone told me that sections of it are now closed to the public due to dog walkers refusing to obey the "keep dogs on leads" signs.....is this true ?

Hi Dave - as the Artery of Life Officer for the Upper Mersey estuary I would be very interested to hear where that rumour came from!

Spike is a post industrial site that takes in the Trans Pennine Trail and Hosts the Catalyst museum and West Bank boat club - it also as fantastic views of the sandbanks and is a cracking place to watch the usual suspects on the river, this winter it played host to at least 3 Short Eared Owls and can be good for Merlin, Raven and Peregrine.

If you follow the towpath up through to the Widnes warf site you will find the 'Future Flower' art installation and in the next few months plenty of Reed and Sedge, Hirundines and Swifts and within the next two months we will be trialing Saltmarsh management with Conservation Long Horn cattle in a joint project between ourselves, Salford Urban ecology Unit and Cheshire Wildlife Trust to raise biodiversity on the marsh itself.

Not only do we not restrict access - we encourage it! we have just created a boardwalk for educational groups to get up close and personal with the River!

If you, or anybody else would like a morning stroll to have a look around - PM me - I would be more than happy to meet up.:t:

Hi Dave - as the Artery of Life Officer for the Upper Mersey estuary I would be very interested to hear where that rumour came from!

If you, or anybody else would like a morning stroll to have a look around - PM me - I would be more than happy to meet up.:t:

I just hope it's not me starting the rumour. Both my wife and I "thought" that is what we were told by someone we met at Moore......but obviously (and happily) either we or the other person are wrong.

I will definitley pm you re' the stroll-thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back