• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car Hire and where to stay near SJO (1 Viewer)

simple

Spain
Hi there hope you can help me.

I have been struggling to find a cheap / affordable car hire and one which I have found has proved difficult to get hold of etc

Can anyone give an insight into these guys or previous experience?
http://www.renta4x4incostarica.com/

Second question

Are there any affordable hotels/B&B's/acommodation close by to San Jose international airport as my flight will arrive at 21.00

All help greatly recieved.

Cheers!

With regards to your lodging options, take a look at this thread, where I think there also were some mention of options near the airport (otherwise it was in another thread in this part of BF). I stayed one night at Orchideas Inn, you judge if you feel that is priced right for your needs.

Car rental, I used www.carrentals.co.uk to find a vehicle. That means prepaying but that was OK for me. It turned out that the vehicle was delivered through Thrifty, and it was good except for a long wait when we picked the car up.

Niels

I shall be in CR very soon. I have hired a 4x4 from Vamos4x4 at what seems a very reasonable price. I do not have to pay until they deliver the car to my hotel, so fingers crossed that all will be well. They have a depot in SJ. There are many car hire firms operating in CR so you should have no problem.

I shall be in CR very soon. I have hired a 4x4 from Vamos4x4 at what seems a very reasonable price. .

I rented from them and service was good - their prices were the best I could find and when our car had problems midway through the trip, they quickly changed it to a bigger better car without any hassle.

Cheap accommodation near the airport easily available in Alajuela (which is closer to the airport than San Jose itself). Can give more details if required, but last time I posted cheap options for Costa Rica got a string of narked off posts from a Costa Rican poster [with links to tourism business].

Last edited:
Thanks I have booked a 4x4 with Vamos - very easy and cheap too....thanks for the top tip!

Still looking for accomodation near SJO but will have this sorted shortly!

Thanks for all your help!

This hostel is adjacent to the central park in Alajuela which means a short ride from the airport. Never stayed there myself. The guy on the balcony (dnsallen) had this to say about it

There is a new hostel in Alajuela next to the tuasa bus station and opposite a small childrens park. A dorm bed in the sealed up aircon rooms that don´t have aircon until past bedtime is 15usd but there is a balcony opposite the park which is quite birdy first thing in the morning. So if you arrive late and want to stay in alajuela it is not too bad a place

In January, my wife and I stayed at Santa Maria, two blocks from the park. Not a bad place but not much there in the way of birds, except for an unexpected Yellow-throated Vireo and Wilson's Warbler in some nearby trees. I think it was in the $45US range with taxes and breakfast.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_9275_2.jpg
    IMG_9275_2.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 39
We had about 30 species near (and most on the grounds of) Orchideas Inn in an afternoon, including Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl

Niels

I can no longer endorse Vamos4x4 for car hire after being badly let down by them on my recent trip, see my report IDC.

Thanks for the tip.

I generally stay with companies with an international presence, but that's not because of service. It's because I'm afraid if something out of the ordinary happens, I can talk to the company representatives in the U.S. when I return.

I generally stay with companies with an international presence, but that's not because of service. It's because I'm afraid if something out of the ordinary happens, I can talk to the company representatives in the U.S. when I return.

A valid reason, but the greatest problem I have ever had with a car company was with Avis, one of the biggest and 'most reputable' companies, at least here in Europe. They lost my credit card details after I had paid, then accused me of making a 'walk in' reservation (ie off the street) and not giving a credit card before or after rental. Even though I produced the reservation booking, on which I had paid a deposit (also with the same credit card), they still kept insisting I had never produced a credit card (no matter it is impossible to get a car without a credit card).

They expected me to make an international bank tranfer to cover the missing money and were not going to investigate where my credit card details had vanished to. End result I refused, they threatened court action, I said please do, communication stopped, never heard from them again ...except occasional e-mails praising me as a loyal past customer and offering good deals ;)

We were there for January and February and rented twice from Tricolor. I heartily recommend them. Rates seem high everywhere to me in CR. We were in Cd Colon and for $10 each way they brought the car/4x4 out to our place which saved us a great deal of grief. No games re return or billing. I have read that the large companies i.e. Avis, Hertz etc. are actually locals who have paid something to use the name, not sure if that is true.

Used Vamos on my recent trip - they were ok, but were 2.5 hours late in dropping off the 4x4. I kind of expected it and they were communicative, although I had to call them to find out what was going on.

However the sat nav didn't work and I'm still waiting on a refund from them for it (which they were happy to do - I'll let you know if they do!).

The car was fine though, apart from it almost running over a dog! (more operator error I feel!).

We were there for January and February and rented twice from Tricolor. I heartily recommend them. Rates seem high everywhere to me in CR. We were in Cd Colon and for $10 each way they brought the car/4x4 out to our place which saved us a great deal of grief. No games re return or billing. I have read that the large companies i.e. Avis, Hertz etc. are actually locals who have paid something to use the name, not sure if that is true.

Bringing the car out there for that price is a pretty good deal!

I recently guided some clients who used the Mapache Rental Car Agency. We had one issue but I think it was handled as well as they could. As we reached our spot for lunch after a morning of birding in Carara, we noticed that the temperature of the engine was in the red zone. We hoped it had something to do with overusing the air conditioning so we enjoyed our meals and watched vultures, Wood Storks, caracaras, and a Bare-throated Tiger Heron scavenging fish waste on the beach (fishermen were unloading dozens of large pinkish Conger Eels along with a few big Red Snappers).

Upon checking the water, it was empty so we filled it up and left with high hopes. Unfortunately, the engine went right back up to red just as we reached the entrance to Bijagual and Villa Lapas. We pulled off the highway into that road, parked the car under a bit of shade and called Mapache. I explained the problem to them and they said that a mechanic was on his way. That was fine but he was coming from San Jose so could take 2 hours to get there! This was an issue because we were essentially stranded, clients were elderly, and it was pretty hot. There was nowhere to buy water and my car was back at Cerro Lodge (too far to walk). I called Cerro Lodge and they came through by sending an informal taxi. He took me to my car, I bought water, and headed back to clients and the stranded vehicle.

Clients decided to call Mapache and see if they can leave the car while I drive them up to Alajuela (they were leaving the next day). Mapache was insistent about them not leaving the car there unattended and just kept saying that the mechanic would come soon despite clients saying that they were stranded. When asked about the possibility of not being able to fix the car, Mapache just insisted that the mechanic would fix it.

As 4 pm approached (we had been there since 2), we decided that we would give them until 4 before calling Mapache to let them know that we had left the car there. Luckily, the mechanic showed up just after making that decision, quickly realized that the car needed a new radiator and did the paperwork for clients to take the car he had driven.

Everything turned out fine and I think they did as a good a job as they could considering the locations of their offices. However, I think they should have let their clients know that the mechanic was bringing a car for them to use in case they needed it as they were pretty worried about being stuck there (although I would have driven them back in any case). In retrospect, we also should have just called them as soon as we got to the restaurant. That way, the mechanic would have probably arrived not long after lunch, and it would have been more comfortable than waiting on the road to Villa Lapas. At least a side benefit was seeing several new birds for the day including an Orange-fronted Parakeet that just perched directly above the car for most of our wait.

In conclusion, I would certainly recommend Mapache, always call the rental agency as soon as there is a problem with the car, and carry plenty of water in case you get stranded!

Good tips Patrick as always.

I used Vamos4x4 on my last trip - the only problem I had was communicating with them whilst in the UK and making sure my booking was safe.

They were about 2 hours late dropping the vehicle off.

None of that bothered me I took that as part of the course!

They still owe me a refund though as they provided me with a sat-nav that didn't work (if you are thinking of using a sat-nav I wouldn't bother anyway) and agreed to reapply funds to my card - still waiting a month + on.

All in all though I took the 4x4 through some pretty rough terrain and clocked up the miles big time, no problems at all.

I was a little gutted that the cool box the promised to be in the boot didn't exist - minor detail!

I would use them again but may be a bit more cautious in what I pay up front!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back