• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve birding Feb/Mar 2011 (1 Viewer)

Benderloch

For once the weather was perfect for the whole fortnight. Pera Marsh/Salgados was full of water for a change. This meant more Flamingos than in past years and birds coming closer to the access points on the west side, e.g. Stilts and Purple Swamp Hen. There were lots of Black and Bar-tailed Godwits, some Spoonbills and several Snipe plus small flocks of Sanderling. A telescope is very desirable here, as the far side of the lake is where many of the ducks etc. hang out and it is around 300 metres away. A very obliging female Stonechat posed on a branch for several minutes and my wife spotted a Bluethroat as we drove towards the boardwalk, but alas, I missed it. Quinta do Lago was as good as ever, especially as a Little Bittern was skulking in the reeds at the lake beyond the bird hide. At Cape St Vincent we saw the blackest Black Redstart we've ever seen, but only one Chough. At Foia we finally spotted 2 Rock Bunting after being 'deafened' by Stonechats for half an hour. From speaking to staff at the A Rocha centre near Alvor, I gather that more evidence was about to be given in court regarding the illegal activities of a landowner along one side of the Ria do Alvor that is within an EU 'Special area of Conservation'. There was cautious optimism regarding the outcome for conservation of the area. Further west, Palmares Golf Course redevelopment has completed its first phase, but we didn't manage to fit in a visit to see what effect it has had on the birds and hares that frequented the area in past years. The salt pans close to Odiaxere turned up a Little Ringed Plover, we heard a Quail and enjoyed the spectacle of a field of yellow lupins. The broom was in bloom and much Mimosa too. Altogether a great fortnight, with 86 species seen without being obsessive! Our only disappointment was at Caldas de Monchique where we found that the restaurant was closed and the Hawfinch didn't appear. Flight by Easyjet from Glasgow, car hire was through Economy Car Hire (£180 for a diesel Fiat Punto with all insurances). We stayed at our timeshare at the Alto club in Alvor and added a second week by exchanging another week we owned through Dial an Exchange. :t:

Great to read about all those familiar places. I spent a week in the Algarve mid-February and also visited Salgados, Quinto do Lago and various other spots. First time, but we'll definitely be back!
Peter
(if you'd like to see some photos of my trip, take a look here:)

Peter's Algarve Pics

Hi Peter
Beautiful set of pictures.
Where was the G.S.Cuckoo taken?
Also there's a light coloured raptor ( two pictures,one with a ST eagle I think)
what is that bird?
I particularly liked the choughs, I think that these bids are full of character.
Best
Mick
:t:

Hi Peter - nice to see you here!

Please excuse me for butting in Mick - the picture of the 2 raptors (I was out with Peter and his wife at the time) shows a pale type Short-toed Eagle and a lovely 1st year Bonelli's Eagle, which was accompanied by an adult Bonelli's. It was great to see these 3 birds together near Sagres. The Great Spotted Cuckoo was taken in the Baixo Alentejo on Peter's second visit after we failed on our day out there together. GS Cuckoos are easier to find from early March when they are all back and very vocal.

Good to see you, too, Simon! Thanks for the additional comments. Both my wife and I look back with great pleasure on the two trips with you.
I do agree with you about the Choughs, Mike !
Regards
Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back