• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

green frog complex (1 Viewer)

jonafly

Hi yall,

I don't know anything about frogs. As I read it's quite difficult to see what kind of green frog you're dealing with. Can anyone enlighten me on this one? And for example those markings on the back, are they consistent or variable?

Is it Rana lessonae, Rana ridibunda or Rana klepton esculenta?

Attachments

• kikker1.jpg
    kikker1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 222
  • kikker2.jpg
    kikker2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 191
Hi Andre,

My gut reaction is esculenta, but I am not sure-it is quite a long time since the last green frog species determinations I had to do (several years) so I´ll have a look at the literature-it may well be not possible to give a save id though....

Jörn

Hi Andre,
I think it is impossible to id from a photo;
even if you have it in the hand and can do some measuring, there is some overlap in the measurements. And coloration is too variable to be save.
Also, I met a friend this weekend who works with european frogs at the university of Mainz and he said the safest thing for determination would be the voice ( if you don´t want to go into a genetical analysis ;) ).

Sorry, this has to remain just a green frog, as I feared before.

Jörn

I'm sorry to hear that Jörn. Thought you knew everything. So you're human afterall!
Just kidding. Thanks a lot (again) for your trouble.

André

Hi Andre,
just for the moment I´d be happy enough to know tomorrow´s weather ;) ,

if it stays like this, I´ll have to work :storm: ;

and it´s neither birds nor bugs for me then...

Jörn

Well, at least I am in the fresh air as much as any lumberjack.

No what I am doing is testing of new plant protection products on side effects on beneficial arthropods and non target organisms . beneficials are insects like for example Ladybird beetles or spiders which can keep pest insect populations more balanced; non target organisms are in my case all arthropods that do not affect a crop in any way.

Such tests have to be done by independent companies , not by the producers of plant protection products themselves (those are our customers); and the company I work for does the studies for the national German or the European authorities on which it is decided to register a product or on the other hand to forbid it respectively not to allow its use.

Besides that, I paint(if I find the time)... mainly birds... but well you can´t live from that... B :)

and yes, I had to work on Saturday :storm:

Hi Jörn,

So what you test are chemical and biological plant protection products? Not the use of insects to reduce the quantity of harmfull (for the crops) other insects?
Or do I miss the point?

André

Hi Andre,
what I test are the reactions of beneficial and also of non-pest insects on plant protection products. Those species must not be harmed too much (so say the official laws and guidelines, that require the testing).
The beneficials because they are our allies against the pest insects; the non-pest insects because they are important in the ecosystem , for example as food for other animals...

Jörn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back