• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pura Vida - Raptors? (1 Viewer)

Jynx

Mike King aka The Gloster Birder, Keeping Gloster
Hi again

raptors as promised but only one pic.

1. I had this go over at height at Hotel Orquideas, San José and my wife managed a quick record shot attached.

2. We had a raptor go down the Villa Lapas valley in bright sunlight carrying a reasonably large Iguana, still kicking. It appeared to have a dark face mask, the leading edge of the underwing appeared darker than the trailing edge and it seemed to have longish pale legs, maybe yellow. My thoughts are Laughing Falcon? but would it take an Ig?

3. At Arenal Hanging Bridges we had a powerful stocky hawk fly across a forest clearing. It appearing brownish/grey with very striated underparts. Had I been in England I would have said immediately Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis). A very similar bird was over Rio Tarcoles later in the holiday, looking exactly the same and the guide couldn't i/d it either. It made an unsuccessful take with some small birds.

The latter two far from ideal with no photos, and the first not great with a photo, but I would appreciate any input.

Thanks again in advance
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 58
The first one is probably a migrant Swainsons Hawk but I cant say for sure.

For the second, Gray Hawk comes to mind. I dont know if Laughing Falcon would ever take an iguana. Sounds like an exciting sighting!

Hard to say much about number three. On the Rio Tarcoles, it was probably an immature Gray Hawk as they go after birds, fit that description and are often tricky to identify. On the Hanging Bridges, Broad-winged Hawk would be more likely although I suppose Gray Hawk could show up. Another possibility there is young Black Hawk Eagle.

Short-tailed Hawk is also possible for that first image although the tail looks a bit long for that species. In conclusion, I cant say for sure what it is!

Hi again

raptors as promised but only one pic.

1. I had this go over at height at Hotel Orquideas, San José and my wife managed a quick record shot attached.
Thanks again in advance
Mike

Did you get the sense that it was a big falcon or a buteo? Flapping continuously or soaring?

Thanks Pat, but does Gray Hawk have a noticeable dark bandit mask?

Def a Buteo

Then I'm going with Short-tailed Hawk (Pat is right about the tail though).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LtG3aP9Wl.../s1600-h/Short-tailedHawk_EMELEG_50D_0324.jpg

If for no particular reason than a Swainson's Hawk might appear to be a bit darker around the upper chest.... it makes sort of a broken bib. Your picture appears lighter in that area.... even though I can't be entirely sure from the photo what is dark and what is light. :)

Besides... what have I got to lose? My reputation isn't at at stake is it?

Last edited:
2. We had a raptor go down the Villa Lapas valley in bright sunlight carrying a reasonably large Iguana, still kicking. It appeared to have a dark face mask, the leading edge of the underwing appeared darker than the trailing edge and it seemed to have longish pale legs, maybe yellow. My thoughts are Laughing Falcon? but would it take an Ig?

Thanks again in advance
Mike

Laughing Falcons do take other reptiles and rodents occasionally, not only snakes, and if this bird showed a clear broad 'bandit' mask there are no other evident candidates.
On the other hand, the underwing you describe doesn't sound good for Laughing Falcon:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/2785742660_9b3d03a4d1.jpg

Other possible local candidates then, somewhat masked and with a bit more similar underwing design:

Immature Yellow-headed Caracara
http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos/sevcik/yellow-headed-caracara--milvago-chimachima-2.jpg

Immature Common Black-Hawk
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BQ7IPrcGL.jpg

Thanks Pat, but does Gray Hawk have a noticeable dark bandit mask?

In certain lighting it can look like they have a darker face but not really a prominent dark mask. The longish yellow legs bring that species to mind and juveniles can show a wing pattern like you described but yes it sounds like Laughing Falcon and Yellow-headed Caracara are also candidates.

Motmot - the underwing was more of a case of light and shade in very bright sunlight.

Pat - thanks, not YHCc, I know that one in flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back