• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz 7x42ba v Zeiss 7x42bgat - Opinions? (1 Viewer)

zurtfox

Hi.

I'm looking for the best twilight and later binos. I have decided 7x42 is what I want and have reduced the choice to Swarovski 7x42 SLC (heavy @ 950g), Zeiss 7x42 bgat (new) or a vgc pair of s/h Leitz 7x42 ba Trinovid (circa 1987). I am strongly drawn towards the Leitz (internal focusing) but as it is mail order, have no idea how they compare with the BGATs.

Has anyone out there >practical< experience/opinions of the Leitz binos? And if they are as good as the seller would have me think, what is a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks in antic.

Chris

Chris,

Would a LEITZ 7x42 BA have phase coatings as would a new Zeiss? It has been some years since the binoculars have used the name LEICA. Maybe someone knows when phase coatings were introduced by Leitz or Leica. Without phase coatings, roof prism binoculars are rather lacking.

Happy birding,
Arthur Pinewood

zurtfox said:
Hi.

I'm looking for the best twilight and later binos. I have decided 7x42 is what I want and have reduced the choice to Swarovski 7x42 SLC (heavy @ 950g), Zeiss 7x42 bgat (new) or a vgc pair of s/h Leitz 7x42 ba Trinovid (circa 1987). I am strongly drawn towards the Leitz (internal focusing) but as it is mail order, have no idea how they compare with the BGATs.

Has anyone out there >practical< experience/opinions of the Leitz binos? And if they are as good as the seller would have me think, what is a reasonable price to pay?

Thanks in antic.

Chris

If the Leitz 7x42 ba Trinovid is a roof prism binocular, it will not have phase coating (invented by Zeiss in ~1989) hence it will have lower contrast and sharpness than the others that you list.

1894 said:
I have a pair of the BGATS and they are excellent indeed. Be quick they are discontinued as of 2 weeks ago!
Thanks, I think the bgats are the way I am going. Either a second hand pair or Warehouse Express who still have them and have just dropped the price to £569

Chris

Another point against the Leitz, although I don't suppose you need it, is that the old Trinovids never used multi-coatings which made them dimmer and even lower contrast than unphase-coated Dialyts.

Going, going...

<snipped>... Warehouse Express who still have them and have just dropped the price to £569
But not any more. Rang them at 5pm to find they have sold out! Zeiss have no more, but managed to get one of the last 2 pairs from Ace, Bath.

Whew!

Whew![/QUOTE]

Chris,

I hope that you get many good years of birding from the Zeiss and that you may not be overly upset if the new Zeiss 7x42 FL proves to be superior.

Was this Leitz Trinovid 7x42 offered on ebay? Buying from ebay or other distant vendors is always problematic.

Happy birding,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
New binoculars, what new binoculars???

Pinewood said:
.I hope that you get many good years of birding from the Zeiss and that you may not be overly upset if the new Zeiss 7x42 FL proves to be superior [unquote]

Even if they are, I doubt that the improved view is going to be worth the extra $500, especially as they are going to be used in twilight and later.
There again, I will always be a 'NewBinophile' so... !!!

Was this Leitz Trinovid 8x42 offered on ebay? Buying from ebay or other distant vendors is always problematic [unquote]

Yes, those are they. As yet I have never plucked up sufficient courage to bid, but it won't be long before I do.

Cheers,

Chris

Yes, those are they. As yet I have never plucked up sufficient courage to bid, but it won't be long before I do.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris,

I think that I have found that particular ebay posting. The vendor's description was a little over the top. Some people may buy Leitz or Leica binoculars as collectibles, rather than users. Although, the Leitz Porro binoculars are outdated, they are better than the early Leitz roof prism glasses.
Most of my purchases of binoculars on ebay have required servicing.

Cheers,
Arthur Pinewood

Tim Allwood said:
Zeiss 7 X 42 BGATs - finest bins ever made.
possibly.....

I must admit I'd always wanted a pair of these since I started birding. I nearly got a pair some years ago, but the money was needed for something else instead. I soldiered on with the Opticron porros, which to be fair weren't that bad. When I heard they'd stopped production, I got straight onto Warehouse Express, and probably have one of the last pair made.

How happy am I? They are great.

:bounce:

Goonerbirder said:
I must admit I'd always wanted a pair of these since I started birding. When I heard they'd stopped production, I got straight onto Warehouse Express, and probably have one of the last pair made.

Dear Goonerbirder,

If you are referring to the Zeiss 7x42 BGAT*P, I wish you good luck with them. The top of the line from fifteen years, ago, are still very good. I sometimes go out with an 8x30 Leitz, made in 1951.

There are still Zeiss CalssiC 7x42 binoculars in the States. In fact, Zeiss still has that model in the catalogue, which I received, yesterday.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Andy Ledger said:
I must admit I'd always wanted a pair of these since I started birding. I nearly got a pair some years ago, but the money was needed for something else instead. I soldiered on with the Opticron porros, which to be fair weren't that bad. When I heard they'd stopped production, I got straight onto Warehouse Express, and probably have one of the last pair made.

My teen idol, Simon King, used the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 throughout the 1990's.

For years I longed for a pair but never had the cash, until I traded in my Leica 8x32BA for a pair!

They are wonderful - but I keep them locked in a cupboard!

I use a pair of Leica Ultravids for everyday use, but they do not compare to the handling or optics of the Zeiss Dialyt.

Steve Napier said:
Go on,treat yourself to the 7x42FLs.
I"ve had mine for over 18months now,Incredible.
Steve.

I have had an 8x pair for almost two years, and very nice they are too. My only concern is whether or not I should have gone for the 7x. Doubtless some people with 7x are wondering the converse.

Leif

Actualy Leif,Im wondering more about the 10x42FLs as I feel the difference between 7x and 8x is not all that marked,stepping up from 7x to 10x would be interesting.
Im not a birder,the 10x would be great for Astronomy.
Still no word on a 12x FL :C
Take care,
Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back