• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spiky and the Crambid (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
Two more micros for you to get your teeth into. The crambid sometimes sits a bit like a scoparia and I am annoyed I can't place the spiky fella.

Good luck

Attachments

• spike_9jul04_800.jpg
    spike_9jul04_800.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 109
  • crambid_9jul04_800.jpg
    crambid_9jul04_800.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 106
harry eales said:
What nonsense, I can pronounce rugosana quite easily. lol.

The genric name is easily done if you split it up, it sounds like fthee-och-rowa. But I bet you knew that anyway

Harry

!

I agree, although I think I'd put a hyphen between the f and the 'thee'. So maybe unpronounceable's a bit strong, but unwieldy definitely. Another question for you Harry (I admit to never having done Latin at skool), how would you pronounce Cnephasia - k-ne-fasia or, as I prefer, Ne-fasia (silent C)? Latin names are great at allowing scientists across the world to know they're talking about the same species (providing they all agree on the most recent version of the name, but that's a different story), but the pronunciation is a nightmare - someone in Italy has a completely different view of how a name should be pronounced from someone in, say, Liverpool. I've heard that the English pronunciation of something as seemingly simple as Bubo bubo is laughable to an Italian....

Hello Mike

I agree, although I think I'd put a hyphen between the f and the 'thee'. So maybe unpronounceable's a bit strong, but unwieldy definitely.

Definately unwieldy, I agree.

Another question for you Harry (I admit to never having done Latin at skool), how would you pronounce Cnephasia - k-ne-fasia or, as I prefer, Ne-fasia (silent C)?

I didn't do Latin either mike, my schoolmasters had a hard enough job teaching my class English. lol. reference Cnephasia I would go along with your silent C

Latin names are great at allowing scientists across the world to know they're talking about the same species (providing they all agree on the most recent version of the name, but that's a different story)

I agree, but when was the last international conference you attended where only latin names were used. Fair enough, when I correspond with others abroad I type the latin name, so pronunciation doesn't apply.

but the pronunciation is a nightmare - someone in Italy has a completely different view of how a name should be pronounced from someone in, say, Liverpool. I've heard that the English pronunciation of something as seemingly simple as Bubo bubo is laughable to an Italian....

I have no doubt latin is pronounced differently all over the world, and as all the people who spoke latin as their native tongue are long dead, who is to say that the latin teachers of today get it right anyway. As for Liverpudlians, I can hardly understand them when they are speaking English. lol. No offence meant if your from Liverpool.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back