• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Wrong Order Ticks" (1 Viewer)

John Malloy

Having ticked the phalaropes in the "incorrect" order - ie Wilsons (1985), Grey (1987) then Red-necked (erm, 2001) & ticking Mamora's Warbler at St Abbs before Dartford Warbler... I wonder what other species BF Members have ticked in the "wrong order".

& What Rare relations have you ticked B :) , but not seen of the commoner sp. :eek!: ?

Hi John,

Best I can think of for me is getting Radde's Warbler before Yellow-browed and Pallas's, and Black Woodpecker (in Denmark) a few months before Green.

Two goodies I've been told of, for other people:
1. Dusky Warbler AND Radde's Warbler before Chiffchaff

and worse:
2. Swainson's Thrush AND Gray-cheeked Thrush (in Britain) before MISTLE Thrush . . . now that's what I call the worst sort of twitching . . . anyone who hasn't seen a Mistle Thrush in Britain, doesn't know how to identify one

Michael

Hi Michael

Yes, I've heard similar stories - Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Grey Cheeked Thrush before Garden Warbler and Green Woodpecker, and Blyth's Reed Warbler before Lesser Whitethroat!

I reckon there will be more Gems out there!

One that comes to mind was seeing a Tropical Parula before any Northern Parulas. The Northern's didn't like me for the longest time...

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Swainson's Thrush AND Gray-cheeked Thrush (in Britain) before MISTLE Thrush . . . now that's what I call the worst sort of twitching . . . anyone who hasn't seen a Mistle Thrush in Britain, doesn't know how to identify one

I've seen Varied Thrush in Iceland but not Mistle Thrush (although I've seen "one or two" in the UK). I think I saw Yellow-rumped Warbler before Garden Warbler in Iceland too. Icelandic birders tend to have the most eclectic WP lists anyway, most with half a dozen dendroica warblers but no-one with Magpie, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Jay, Goldfinch to name a few abundant WP birds.

Abroad I've seen Spanish Imperial Eagle but never Golden Eagle.

E

greater sand plover before Little Ringed but i was only about 14 and just getting into serious birding.....

my friends bunked school to travel by train to see a Great Reed Warbler b4 they saw Reed Warbler.....was about 1976 though!

no other dodgy ones i'm pleased to say....probably happens much more these days with instant information access.....

Michael Frankis said:
Hi John,

Best I can think of for me is getting Radde's Warbler before Yellow-browed and Pallas's, and Black Woodpecker (in Denmark) a few months before Green.

Two goodies I've been told of, for other people:
1. Dusky Warbler AND Radde's Warbler before Chiffchaff

and worse:
2. Swainson's Thrush AND Gray-cheeked Thrush (in Britain) before MISTLE Thrush . . . now that's what I call the worst sort of twitching . . . anyone who hasn't seen a Mistle Thrush in Britain, doesn't know how to identify one

Michael

I suppose my claim to infamy must be seeing yellow-browed warbler before firecrest.

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Edward,

Nothing wrong with that . . . now if you could find an Icelandic birder who saw Varied Thrush in Iceland before Redwing . . .

Michael

Then they'd be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

E

Ian Peters said:
I suppose my claim to infamy must be seeing yellow-browed warbler before firecrest.
So did I for Northumberland ticks - but that's hardly surprising, as Y-brow is about 3 or 4 times commoner that Firecrest up here.

Michael

Hi all,
Black Redstart before Redstart...but the former is commoner here(even though the latter is a rare breeder and the former has never bred).
Marsh Harrier before Hen Harrier...and both on the same day too!Went down to a local known harrier roost to finally tick Hen,and the first bird that I saw proved to be an adult female Marsh,in FEB!
Harry

The best I can manage (and i`m disapointed to make the lie of my devil-may-care tick hungry attitude) is seeing Snowy Owl before Long-eared Owl - Long-eared Owl was a real bogey bird for ages and ages....

Hate to admit this one - but I've just remembered a (day)trip I made to Orkney in December 2002. Ticked 2 Dove sp. that day. You can guess which ones and their ticked order!!

John Malloy said:
Hate to admit this one - but I've just remembered a (day)trip I made to Orkney in December 2002. Ticked 2 Dove sp. that day. You can guess which ones and their ticked order!!
Hi John,

Life-ticked?? - in which case, no idea! Presumably one's Oriental Turtle Dove, but I'd not heard of anything other than common species there (no I don't believe you'd never seen Collared Dove before!). Or just day-ticked OT before Collared?

Michael

Closely following the OTD was a couple of Rock Doves..... My first trip that far north, so I'll use that as my feeble excuse for 2 UK life ticks in a day. Sorry!

John Malloy said:
Closely following the OTD was a couple of Rock Doves..... My first trip that far north, so I'll use that as my feeble excuse for 2 UK life ticks in a day. Sorry!
Errrrr . . . you've never seen a Rock Dove in the streets of Newcastle before??? How d'you manage that!?! :eek!:

Michael

Bet there's no such thing as a Rock Dove in Britain with no feral ancestry at all ;)

And Feral Pigeons are just as tickable as Little Owls, Pheasants, Ruddy Ducks, Canada Geese, etc . . .

Michael

I`m with you John - I wouldn`t want one of those scruffy fella`s that scavange around the tramps outside our office on my list ;) one must have certain standards musn`t one....;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back