• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas on these micros? (1 Viewer)

Grampy Bustard

Evening
I have tried long and hard with MBGBI and websites, but have yet to tie these down. All caught at light in Dorset over last few weeks. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• DSCN2594.jpg
    DSCN2594.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN2687.jpg
    DSCN2687.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN2680.jpg
    DSCN2680.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN2863.jpg
    DSCN2863.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN2884.jpg
    DSCN2884.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
OK, I've sussed no. 2 ....I think

Can't think how I missed this one, but it suddenly leapt off the page. No. 2 is Caloptilia robustella (although very similar to C. alchimiella). Any dissenters?

Grampy Bustard said:
Can't think how I missed this one, but it suddenly leapt off the page. No. 2 is Caloptilia robustella (although very similar to C. alchimiella). Any dissenters?

It's one or the other; can't tell from the photo. #1 is a Cnephasia, probably stephensiana but a gen job; #3 is a tort, Eucosma cana; #4 is Phycitodes sp., probably robustella but could be maritima (both are variable); #5 is a Scoparia but there's too much white-out on the photo to be able to tell what it is.

HTH

Handy pics these Grampy as I have two in the fridge awaiting ID at the moment and think one of them bears a striking resemblance to number 4. Cheers.

I get a fair few Cnephasia and don't try to ID them but I notice there seems to be quite a range of sizes. Could you be fairly sure that the whoppers are Grey Tortrix?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back