• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Desert Sparrow (1 Viewer)

Rob Hutchinson

Soft Lad
Could anyone help me out with current information on the best places to see Desert Sparrow and the regular Morocco circuit? (no tome for the Western Sahara this time) It seems like they have disappeared (or declined drastically) from places people were seeing them just a few years ago.

I'm leaving tomorrow so any other recent info useful.

Cheers,
Rob

M'hamid el Gizlan near Zagora

As in the case of Merzouga or even better, Desert Sparrows can be easily seen around Bedouin camps near M'hamid el Gizlan at the end of the road N9 coming from Zagora. You can try this, but I don't know if it fits on your itinerary. M'hamid in Google maps

good birding,

Probably too late for Rob but this might be useful for others: Cafe Yasmina has a nest box with Desert Sparrow. Apparently the hole is slightly too small for House Sparrows. We saw Desert Sparrow there April 24.

If Rob did the regular circuit he must have seen it there as well (I saw the pair on 26/4 and the mail on 27/4) and there's a bad picture on Surfbirds "World Rarities" as well (a bit ott, but I couldn't stick it elsewhere).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back